Fax: (770) 488-3040
Article first published online: 13 NOV 2007
Published 2007 American Cancer Society
Volume 112, Issue 1, pages 181–192, 1 January 2008
How to Cite
Wingo, P. A., Tucker, T. C., Jamison, P. M., Martin, H., McLaughlin, C., Bayakly, R., Bolick-Aldrich, S., Colsher, P., Indian, R., Knight, K., Neloms, S., Wilson, R. and Richards, T. B. (2008), Cancer in Appalachia, 2001–2003. Cancer, 112: 181–192. doi: 10.1002/cncr.23132
Disclaimer: The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
This is a US government work and, as such, is in the public domain.
- Issue published online: 17 DEC 2007
- Article first published online: 13 NOV 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JUL 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 1 JUL 2007
- Manuscript Received: 18 APR 2007
- 12005 [cited 2005 Apr 3]; available from URL: http://www.arc.gov., . Economic review of Appalachia. Appalachian Regional Commission. ARC website
- 3An American Challenge: A Report on Economic Trends and Social Issues in Appalachia. Dubuque, IA: Kendall-Hunt; 1995..
- 5Recent trends in poverty in the Appalachian region. Madison: University of Wisconsin, Applied Population Laboratory; 2000. available from URL: http://www.arc.gov/index.do?nodeId=57..
- 6Appalachia: where place matters in health. Prev Chronic Dis [serial online]. 2006 October. Available from URL: http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2006/oct/06_0067.htm., .
- 11Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Cancer death rates — Appalachia, 1994–1998. MMWR. 2002; 51: 527–529.
- 14Appalachia — A Regional Geography: Land, People and Development. Boulder, CO: Westview Press; 1984., , .
- 15The Southern Appalachian Region: A Survey. Lexington: University of Kentucky; 1962..
- 16The Southern Highlander and His Homeland. New York: Russell Sage Foundation; 1921..
- 17Our Southern Highlanders. New York: Macmillian; 1913..
- 18Appalachian Regional Commission. ARC website 2005 [cited 2005 August 15]; available from URL: http://www.arc.gov.
- 192005 [cited 2003 June 15]; available from URL: http://www.arc.gov.. Appalachia at the millennium: an overview of results from census 2000. Population Reference Bureau. Appalachian Regional Commission. ARC website
- 20United States Cancer Statistics Working Group. United States Cancer Statistics: Incidence and Mortality 2003. 5th ed. Atlanta, GA: Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Cancer Institute; 2006.
- 21SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975–2003, National Cancer Institute. Bethesda, MD, available from URL: http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2003/, based on November 2005 SEER data submission, posted to the SEER web site, 2006., , , et al.
- 22Certification for population-based cancer registries. J Reg Manage. 1999; 26: 24–27., , .
- 23Measuring the quality of central cancer registries: the NAACCR perspective. J Reg Manage. 2001; 28: 41–44., .
- 24National Cancer Institute. SEER*Stat 4.2, Surveillance Epidemiology and End Results Program. Bethesda, MD: Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, National Cancer Institute; 2002. Available from URL: http://seer.cancer.gov.
- 25Bureau of the Census. Population estimates. Bureau of the Census 2002. Available from URL: http://eire.census.gov/popest/data/countiesl.php.
- 26Statistical Methods for Rates and Proportions. New York: John Wiley & Sons; 2005..
- 30Assessing awareness and knowledge of breast and cervical cancer among Appalachian women. Prev Chronic Dis. [serial online] 2006 October. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2006/oct/06_0031.htm., .
- 31Cancer in Appalachia Ohio. Ohio Department of Health Cancer Surveillance Report. Chronic Disease and Behavioral Epidemiology/Ohio Cancer Incidence Surveillance System, Bureau of Health Surveillance-Prevention, Ohio Department of Health, June 2002., , .
- 33Sustaining state programs for tobacco control: data highlights for 2004. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA. Available from URL: http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/datahighlights/index.htm.
- 35Using central cancer registry data for cancer control. In: MenckH,DeapenD,PhillipsJ,TuckerT, eds. Central Cancer Registries: Design, Management and Use. Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt; 2007: 313–323..
- 37Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Division of Cancer Prevention and Control. Cancer registries: the foundation for cancer prevention and control, at-a-glance 2001. Atlanta, GA; 2002.
- 39Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Division of Cancer Prevention and Control. Cancer registries: the foundation for cancer prevention and control, 2003 program fact sheet 2003. Atlanta, GA; 2004.
- 40Sowing seeds in the mountains: community-based coalitions for cancer prevention and control. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 1994., , .
- 41Initiatives of 11 rural Appalachian cancer coalitions in Pennsylvania and New York. Prev Chronic Dis [serial online] 2006 October. Available from URL: http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2006/oct/06_0045.htm., , , , .