Fax: (216) 983-0347
Underuse of colorectal cancer screening in a cohort of medicare beneficiaries†
Article first published online: 10 DEC 2007
Copyright © 2007 American Cancer Society
Volume 112, Issue 2, pages 293–299, 15 January 2008
How to Cite
Cooper, G. S. and Doug Kou, T. (2008), Underuse of colorectal cancer screening in a cohort of medicare beneficiaries. Cancer, 112: 293–299. doi: 10.1002/cncr.23176
Presented in part at Digestive Disease Week, Washington DC, 20–23, May 2007 and published in abstract form in Gastroenterology. 2007;132:A-89 and 132:A-622.
This study used the linked Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER)-Medicare database. The interpretation and reporting of these data are the sole responsibility of the authors. The authors acknowledge the efforts of the Applied Research Program, National Cancer Institute; the Office of Research, Development and Information, CMS; Information Management Services (IMS), Inc.; and the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program tumor registries in the creation of the SEER-Medicare database.
- Issue published online: 4 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 10 DEC 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 OCT 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 16 AUG 2007
- Manuscript Received: 27 JUN 2007
- Research Project Grant. Grant Number: RSGT-01-072-03-CPHPC
- American Cancer Society
- 4United States Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for colorectal cancer: recommendations and rationale. Ann Intern Med. 2002; 137: 129–131.
- 6Health Care Financing Administration. Medicare coverage of colorectal cancer screening. Transmittal No. AB-97–24. Washington, DC: Health Care Financing Administration; 1997.
- 7Health Care Financing Administration. Billing for colorectal screening. Transmittal No. 769. Washington, DC: Health Care Financing Administration; 2001.
- 8U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy People 2010: Understanding and Improving Health. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; 2000.
- 9Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Increased use of colorectal cancer tests—United States, 2002 and 2004. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2006; 55: 308–311.
- 23A population-based estimate of the extent of colorectal cancer screening in Ontario. Am J Gastroenterol. 2004; 99: 1141–1144., .Direct Link: