Fax: (617) 724-2019
External beam radiation treatment for rectal cancer is associated with a decrease in subsequent prostate cancer diagnosis
Article first published online: 20 DEC 2007
Copyright © 2007 American Cancer Society
Volume 112, Issue 4, pages 943–949, 15 February 2008
How to Cite
Hoffman, K. E., Hong, T. S., Zietman, A. L. and Russell, A. H. (2008), External beam radiation treatment for rectal cancer is associated with a decrease in subsequent prostate cancer diagnosis. Cancer, 112: 943–949. doi: 10.1002/cncr.23241
- Issue published online: 1 FEB 2008
- Article first published online: 20 DEC 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 SEP 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 1 SEP 2007
- Manuscript Received: 13 JUL 2007
- 1American Cancer Society: Cancer Facts and Figures 2006. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society, 2006. Available at URL: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/stt/stt_0.asp Accessed on October 14, 2006.
- 2National Comprehensive Cancer Network Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. V. 2. 2006. Available at URL: http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/PDF/rectal.pdf Accessed on October 25, 2006.
- 9Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program (www.seer.cancer.gov) SEER*Stat Database: Incidence — SEER 9 Regs Limited-Use, Nov 2005 Sub (1973–2003) — Linked To County Attributes — Total U.S., 1969–2003 Counties, National Cancer Institute, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program, Cancer Statistics Branch, released April 2006, based on the November 2005 submission.
- 10Screening for prostate cancer: prostate-specific antigen, digital rectal examination, and free, density, and age-specific derivatives. In: KantoffP,CarrollP,D'AmicoA, eds. Prostate Cancer Principles and Practice. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2002: 195–211., .
- 11Screening for Prostate Cancer: Recommendations and Rationale. U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Center for Practice and Technology and Assessment. October 28, 2002.
- 13SEER*Stat. Available at URL: http://seer.cancer.gov/seerstat/ Accessed on August 31, 2007.
- 14Multiple Primary — Standardized Incidence Ratios. Available at URL: http://seer.cancer.gov/seerstat/mp-sir.html Accessed on April 14, 2007.
- 15RiesLAG,KrapchoM,MariottoA (eds). SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975–2003. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute. Available at URL: http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2003/ based on November 2005 SEER data submission, posted to the SEER website 2006. Accessed on October 1, 2006.
- 17Breast-conserving treatment with or without radiotherapy in ductal carcinoma-in-situ: ten-year results of European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer randomized phase III trial 10853—a study by the EORTC Breast Cancer Cooperative Group and EORTC Radiotherapy Group. J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 3381–337., , , et al.
- 20Improved survival with preoperative radiotherapy in resectable rectal cancer. Swedish Rectal Cancer Trial. N Engl J Med. 1997; 336: 980–987.