Fax: (612) 870-5837
Article first published online: 20 AUG 2008
Published 2008 American Cancer Society
Supplement: An Update on Cancer in American Indians and Alaska Natives, 1999–2004
Volume 113, Issue Supplement 5, pages 1179–1190, 1 September 2008
How to Cite
Perdue, D. G., Perkins, C., Jackson-Thompson, J., Coughlin, S. S., Ahmed, F., Haverkamp, D. S. and Jim, M. A. (2008), Regional differences in colorectal cancer incidence, stage, and subsite among American Indians and Alaska Natives, 1999–2004. Cancer, 113: 1179–1190. doi: 10.1002/cncr.23726
This supplement was sponsored by Cooperative Agreement Number U50 DP424071-04 from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Cancer Prevention and Control.
The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
This article is a U.S. Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
- Issue published online: 20 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 20 AUG 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JUN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 5 MAY 2008
- 4Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program (www.seer.cancer.gov). SEER*Stat Database: Incidence-SEER 17 Registries Public-Use. Based on the November 2005 submission (2000-2003), released April 2006. Bethesda, Md: National Cancer Institute, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program, Cancer Statistics Branch; 2006.
- 6Quality of death rates by race and Hispanic origin: a summary of current research, 1999. Vital Health Stat 2. 1999; 128: 1–13., , , et al.
- 7The validity of race and Hispanic origin reporting on death certificates in the United States. Natl Vital Stat Rep. In press., , , ,
- 8Predictors of colorectal cancer screening participation in the United States. Am J Gastroenterol. 2003; 98: 2082–2091., , .Direct Link:
- 13U.S. Cancer Statistics Working Group. United States Cancer Statistics: 2003 Incidence and Mortality. Atlanta, Ga: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Cancer Institute; 2006.
- 14Building the infrastructure for nationwide cancer surveillance and control—a comparison between the National Program of Cancer Registries (NPCR) and the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program (United States). Cancer Causes Control. 2003; 14: 175–193., , , et al.
- 15National Cancer Institute. Surveillance Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) Program. Population estimates used in NCI's SEER*Stat software. Available at: http://seer.cancer.gov/popdata/methods.html. Accessed on July 10, 2008.
- 16United States Census 2000 Population With Bridged Race Categories. DHHS Publication PHS 2003-1334. Vital and Health Statistics, Series 2, No. 135. Data Evaluation and Methods Research. Atlanta, Ga: Health and Human Services Department, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics; 2003., , , et al.
- 18Site-Specific Comparison of Summary Stage 1977 and Summary Stage 2000 Coding. Springfield, Ill: North American Association of Central Cancer Registries; 2005. Available at: http://www.naaccr.org/index.asp?Col_SectionKey=11&Col_ContentID=397. Accessed on July 10, 2008., , , , .
- 19PhillipsJ, ed. Summary Stage: Data Effects of the Changes in 2000. Springfield, Ill: North American Association of Central Cancer Registries; 2003.
- 20Morphologic classification of human cancer. In: SchottenfeldD,FraumeniJJr, eds. Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention,2nd ed. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 1996: 28..
- 25Surveillance Epidemiology, and End Results Program. SEER*Stat software. Bethesda, Md: National Cancer Institute, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program, Cancer Statistics Branch; 2007. Available at: http://www.seer.cancer.gov/seerstat. Accessed on July 10, 2008.
- 47Indian Health Service. Alaska Area 2007 Aggregate Report, IHS 2007 National GPRA (Government Performance and Results Act of 1993) Clinical Performance Report, Clinical Reporting System, Version 7.0. Report run August 6, 2007. Anchorage, Alaska: Indian Health Service, Alaska Area Native Health Service; 2007.
- 53CORI Research Project. Gender differences in colorectal polyps and tumors. Am J Gastroenterol. 2001; 96: 882–886., , , ;Direct Link:
- 67Nurses doing flexible sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy [serial online]. Outpatient Surg. 2004. Available at: http://www.outpatientsurgery.net/2004/os05/nurses_flexible_sigmoidoscopy_colonoscopy.php. Accessed on July 10, 2008..
- 68She'll do quite well! Pioneering the murky waters of nurse practitioner-led screening colonoscopies [serial online]. EndoNurse. 2006. Available at: http://www.endonurse.com/articles/6c1feat3. Accessed on July 10, 2008..
- 70Indian Health Service Division of Program Statistics. American Indian and Alaska Native population estimates by state for each year 1980 to 2000 (for service and nonservice portions of each state). Available at: http://www.ihs.gov/NonMedicalPrograms/IHS_Stats/Statistical_Databases.asp. Accessed on July 10, 2008.
- 71We the People: American Indians and Alaska Natives in the United States: Census 2000 Special Reports. Washington, DC: U.S. Census Bureau; 2006..