Fax: (505) 248-4393
Article first published online: 20 AUG 2008
Published 2008 American Cancer Society
Supplement: An Update on Cancer in American Indians and Alaska Natives, 1999–2004
Volume 113, Issue Supplement 5, pages 1153–1167, 1 September 2008
How to Cite
Weir, H. K., Jim, M. A., Marrett, L. D. and Fairley, T. (2008), Cancer in American Indian and Alaska Native young adults (ages 20–44 years): US, 1999–2004. Cancer, 113: 1153–1167. doi: 10.1002/cncr.23731
This supplement was sponsored by Cooperative Agreement Number U50 DP424071-04 from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Cancer Prevention and Control.
The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
- Issue published online: 20 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 20 AUG 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JUN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 5 MAY 2008
- 8RiesLAG,YoungJL,KeelGE,EisnerMP,LinYD,HornerM-J, eds. SEER Survival Monograph: Cancer Survival Among Adults, U.S. SEER Program, 1988-2001. Patients and Tumor Characteristics. NIH Pub. No. 07-621556. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute, SEER Program; 2007.
- 10Cancer Care Ontario. Cancer in Young Adults in Canada. Toronto: Cancer Care Canada; 2006. Available at: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/cyac-cjac06/index.html Accessed January 15, 2008.
- 11the CYAC Working Group. Cancer incidence in young adults in Canada: preliminary results of a cancer surveillance project. Chronic Dis Canada. 2006; 23: 58–64., , , , and
- 13U.S. Cancer Statistics Working Group. United States Cancer Statistics: 2004 Incidence. Atlanta: Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Cancer Institute; 2007.
- 15Data Standards and Data Dictionary. Version 11. 10th ed. In: North American Association of Central Cancer Registries, ed. Standards for Cancer Registries. Springfield, IL: North American Association of Central Cancer Registries; 2004., .
- 16International classification of diseases of oncology. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2000., , .
- 17http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2004/, based on November 2006 SEER data submission. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2007., , , et al. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2004. Available at:
- 19BleyerA,O'LearyM,BarrR,RiesLAG, eds. Cancer Epidemiology in Older Adolescents and Young Adults 15 to 29 Years of Age, Including SEER Incidence and Survival: 1975-2000. NIH Pub. No. 06-5767. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2007.
- 21SAS Institute Inc. The SAS system for Windows. Version 9.1. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc; 1999.
- 22Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. LinkPlus: a suite of publicly available software programs for collecting and processing cancer registry data. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/npcr/tools/registryplus/lp.htm. Accessed July 2008.
- 23National Center for Health Statistics. Estimates of the July 1, 2000 and July 1, 2001, United States resident population from the Vintage 2001 postcensal series by year, age, sex, race, and Hispanic origin, prepared under a collaborative arrangement with the U.S. Census Bureau. 2003. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/about/major/dvs/popbridge/popbridge/htm. Accessed July 2005.
- 24National Cancer Institute. Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program. Statistical Resources. U.S. population data 1969-2004. Available at: http://seer.cancer.gov/resources. Accessed June 2005.
- 25Surveillance Research Program, National Cancer Institute SEER*Stat software. Available at: http://www.seer.cancer.gov/seerstat. Accessed June 2005.
- 28Surveillance for health behaviors of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Findings from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 1997-2000. MMWR Surveill Summ. 2003; 52: 1–13., , .
- 292006. Available at: http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/censr-28.pdf. Accessed July 2008.. We the People: American Indians and Alaska Natives in the United States. In: Census 2000 Special Reports (CENSR-28);
- 30American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts and Figures 2007. Atlanta: American Cancer Society; 2007.
- 32American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts and Figures 2005. Atlanta: American Cancer Society; 2005.
- 39Primary liver cancer incidence among American Indian and Alaska Natives, United States, 1999-2004. Cancer. 2008; 113( suppl)., , , et al.
- 44Diabetes and cancer—a review. Nat Clin Pract Rev Oncol. 2005; 2: 6., .
- 54Centers for Disease Control.HIV/AIDS Surveillance Report, 2005. Vol 17. Revised ed. Atlanta: US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control;2007: 1–46.
- 55Overcoming psycho-social barriers to Native American cancer screening research. In: Conference Summary: Recruitment and Retention of Minority Participants in Clinical Cancer Research. NIH Pub No. 96-4182. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Advisory Board, National Cancer Institute, US Department of Health and Human Services; 1996: 109–127..
- 56Recruitment of minorities into clinical trials. In: Conference Summary: Recruitment and Retention of Minority Participants in Clinical Cancer Research. NIH Pub No. 96-4182. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Advisory Board, National Cancer Institute, US Department of Health and Human Services; 1996..
- 58Viral hepatitis in minority America. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2002; 39: 144–151., .