Fax: (505) 272-3750
Version of Record online: 20 AUG 2008
Published 2008 American Cancer Society
Supplement: An Update on Cancer in American Indians and Alaska Natives, 1999–2004
Volume 113, Issue Supplement 5, pages 1142–1152, 1 September 2008
How to Cite
Wiggins, C. L., Espey, D. K., Wingo, P. A., Kaur, J. S., Wilson, R. T., Swan, J., Miller, B. A., Jim, M. A., Kelly, J. J. and Lanier, A. P. (2008), Cancer among American Indians and Alaska Natives in the United States, 1999–2004. Cancer, 113: 1142–1152. doi: 10.1002/cncr.23734
This supplement was sponsored by Cooperative Agreement Number U50 DP424071-04 from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Cancer Prevention and Control.
Preparation of this article was supported, in part, by National Cancer Institute (NCI) Contract NO1-PC-35138 and by the University of New Mexico Cancer Center, a recipient of NCI Cancer Support Grant P30-CA118100.
The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
This article is a U.S. Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
- Issue online: 20 AUG 2008
- Version of Record online: 20 AUG 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JUN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 5 MAY 2008
- 1Cancer Incidence in Five Continents, Vol VIII. IARC Scientific Publications No. 155. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2002., , , , .
- 5Cancer in Alaska Native people, 1969–2003. Alaska Med. 2006; 48: 30–59., , , , .
- 10Improving American Indian cancer data in the California Cancer Registry by linkage with the Indian Health Service. J Registry Manage. 1998; 25: 17–20., , , .
- 13Issues in cancer data and surveillance for American Indian and Alaska Native populations. J Registry Manage. 1999; 29: 153–157., , .
- 15U.S. Cancer Statistics Working Group. United States Cancer Statistics: 2004 Incidence. Atlanta, Ga: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and National Cancer Institute; 2007.
- 16International Classification of Diseases for Oncology. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2000., , .
- 19American Indians and Alaska Natives: defining where they reside. IHS Primary Care Provider. 1996; 21: 36–42..
- 20Racial Misclassification of American Indians Residing Near IHS Facilities: Poster P-47, Final Program and Abstracts. Presented at the 2006 North American Association of Central Cancer Registries Annual Conference, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, June 10-16, 2006., , , , .
- 22Surveillance for health behaviors of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Findings from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 1997–2000. MMWR Surveill Summ. 2003; 52: 1–13., , .
- 24Age Adjustment Using the 2000 Projected U.S. Population. Healthy People 2010 Statistical Notes. Hyattsville, Md: National Center for Health Statistics; 2001., .
- 25National Cancer Institute. Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program. Statistical Resources. U.S. Population Data 1969–2004. Bethesda, Md: National Cancer Institute;2005. Available at:http://seer.cancer.gov/resources. Accessed on April 4, 2008.
- 26Surveillance Research Program. SEER*Stat software. Bethesda, Md: National Cancer Institute, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program, Cancer Statistics Branch;2007. Available at: http://www.seer.cancer.gov/seerstat. Accessed on April 4, 2008.
- 28Cancer Mortality Among American Indians and Alaska Natives: Regional Differences, 1994-1998. Rockville, Md: Indian Health Service; 2008., , , .
- 32The incidence of cancer among the Indians in the southwest. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1930; 50: 196–199..
- 34Lung cancer among the Alaska Natives. In: DahlgrenG, ed. Science in Alaska, Proceedings of the 15th Alaskan Science Conference (1964). Alaska Division, American Association for the Advancement of Science. 1965: 110–114..