Fax: (503) 494-7536
Article first published online: 20 AUG 2008
Published 2008 American Cancer Society
Supplement: An Update on Cancer in American Indians and Alaska Natives, 1999–2004
Volume 113, Issue Supplement 5, pages 1234–1243, 1 September 2008
How to Cite
Becker, T. M., Espey, D. K., Lawson, H. W., Saraiya, M., Jim, M. A. and Waxman, A. G. (2008), Regional differences in cervical cancer incidence among American Indians and Alaska Natives, 1999–2004. Cancer, 113: 1234–1243. doi: 10.1002/cncr.23736
This supplement was sponsored by Cooperative Agreement Number U50 DP424071-04 from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Cancer Prevention and Control.
The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
- Issue published online: 20 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 20 AUG 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JUN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 5 MAY 2008
- 3Cancer mortality among American Indians and Alaska Natives: regional differences, 1994-1998. Rockville, MD: Indian Health Services; 2003., , .
- 14Cancer in Alaska Native people, 1969-2003. Alaska Med. 2006; 48: 30–59., , , , .
- 19Improving American Indian cancer data in the California Cancer Registry by linkage with the Indian Health Service. J Registry Manage. 1998; 25: 17–20., , , .
- 22Methods for improving cancer surveillance data in American Indian and Alaska Native Populations. Cancer. 2008; 113( suppl)., , , , , .
- 23US Cancer Statistics Working Group. United States cancer statistics: 2004 incidence. Atlanta, GA: Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Cancer Institute; 2007.
- 24US Cancer Statistics Working Group. United States cancer statistics: 2003 incidence and mortality. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Cancer Institute; 2006.
- 25International classification of diseases of oncology. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2000., , .
- 26Office of Management and Budget. Revisions to the Standards for the Classification of Federal Data on Race and Ethnicity. Federal Register Notice: October 30, 1997. Available at: http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/fedreg/1997standards.html Accessed on July 8, 2008.
- 27Link Plus. A suite of publicly available software programs for collecting and processing cancer registry data. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2005. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/npcr/tools/registryplus/lp.htm Accessed on July 8, 2008.
- 28Racial Misclassification of American Indians Residing Near IHS Facilities. Poster P-47, Final Program and Abstracts. Presented at the North American Association of Central Cancer Registries Conference, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, June 13-16, 2006., , , , .
- 29Surveillance for health behaviors of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Findings from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 1997-2000. MMWR Surveill Summ. 2003; 52: 1–13., , .
- 30Site-specific comparison of summary stage 1977 and summary stage 2000 coding. Available at: http://www.naaccr.org/index.asp?COL_SectionKey=11&COL_ContentID=397 Accessed on July 8, 2008., , , , .
- 31PhillipsJ, ed. Summary stage: data effects of the changes in 2000. Available at: http://www.naaccr.org/filesystem/pdf/Summary%20Stage%20Report%201-21-04b.pdf.
- 32United States Census 2000 population with bridged race categories. Vital Health Stat 2. September 2003; 2., , , et al.
- 33National Cancer Institute. Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program. Statistical Resources. U.S. population data 1969-2004. Available at: http://seer.cancer.gov/resources. Accessed on July 8, 2008.
- 35Surveillance Research Program. SEER*Stat software. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program, Cancer Statistics Branch; 2007. Available at: http://www.seer.cancer.gov/seerstat. Accessed on July 8, 2008.
- 40Colposcopy training for IHS providers: a strategy for improving cervical cancer screening in Native Americans. IHS Provider. 1992; 17: 3..
- 41Teaching colposcopy on the Navajo reservation. Colposcopist. 1991; 23: 2., .
- 43Socioeconomic differences in cancer incidence and mortality IARC Scientific Publ. No. 138. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 1997: 65–176., , .
- 46Carcinoma of the cervix and tobacco smoking: collaborative reanalysis of individual data on 13,541 women with carcinoma of the cervix and 23,017 women without carcinoma of the cervix from 23 epidemiological studies. Int J Cancer. 2006; 118: 1481–1495., , , et al.