Fax (605) 348-6990;
Version of Record online: 20 AUG 2008
Published 2008 American Cancer Society
Supplement: An Update on Cancer in American Indians and Alaska Natives, 1999–2004
Volume 113, Issue Supplement 5, pages 1203–1212, 1 September 2008
How to Cite
Henderson, J. A., Espey, D. K., Jim, M. A., German, R. R., Shaw, K. M. and Hoffman, R. M. (2008), Prostate cancer incidence among American Indian and Alaska Native men, US, 1999–2004. Cancer, 113: 1203–1212. doi: 10.1002/cncr.23739
This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
This supplement was sponsored by Cooperative Agreement Number U50 DP424071-04 from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Cancer Prevention and Control.
The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Issue online: 20 AUG 2008
- Version of Record online: 20 AUG 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JUN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 5 MAY 2008
- 7U.S. Cancer Statistics Working Group. United States cancer statistics: 2004 incidence. Atlanta, GA: Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Cancer Institute; 2007.
- 8International classification of diseases of oncology. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2000., , .
- 9Racial Misclassification of American Indians Residing Near IHS Facilities. Poster P-47, Final Program and Abstracts. Presented at the North American Association of Central Cancer Registries Conference, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. June 2006., , , , .
- 10http://www.naaccr.org/filesystem/pdf/EOD_SS_All. Accessed on December 17, 2007., , , , and members of the North American Association of Central Cancer Registries Collaborative Research Work Group. Site-specific Comparison of Summary Stage 1977 and Summary Stage 2000 Coding. North American Association of Central Cancer Registries 2005. Available at:
- 11http://www.naaccr.org/filesystem/pdf/Summary%20Stage%20Report%201–21-04b.pdf 2000. Accessed on December 17, 2007.. Summary stage: data effects of the changes in 2000. Available at:
- 12National Cancer Institute. Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) program. Statistical resources. U.S. population data 1969–2004. Available at: http://seer.cancer.gov/resources. Accessed on December 17, 2007.
- 14Public health surveillance for behavioral risk factors in a changing environment. Recommendations from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance Team. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2003; 52: 1–12., , .
- 15Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. What's New From the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force: An Overview of Recommendations–Screening for Prostate Cancer. AHRQ Pub. No. APPIP03–0003. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2002. Available at: http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/3rduspstf/prostatescr/prostatwh.htm. Accessed on December 17, 2007.
- 16Surveillance Research Program. SEER*Stat software. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, Surveillance Research Program, Cancer Statistics Branch; 2007. Available at: http://www.seer.cancer.gov/seerstat. Accessed on December 17, 2007.
- 18American Cancer Society. Cancer facts & figures 2007. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society; 2007.
- 21Prostate cancer trends 1973–1995. NIH Pub. No. 99–4543. Bethesda, MD: Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program, National Cancer Institute; 1999., , , et al.
- 34Diabetes mellitus and impaired glucose tolerance in three American Indian populations aged 45–74 years: the Strong Heart Study. IHS Primary Care Provider. 1995; 20: 97–109., , , et al.
- 35Prevalence of undiagnosed diabetes in 3 American Indian populations. A comparison of the 1997 American Diabetes Association diagnostic criteria and the 1985 World Health Organization diagnostic criteria: the Strong Heart Study. Diabetes Care. 2000; 23: 181–186., , , et al.
- 36Diabetes in North American Indians and Alaska Natives. In: National Diabetes Data Group, Diabetes in America. 2nd ed. NIH Pub. No. 95-1468, 683-701. Bethesda, MD: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health; 1995..
- 46Cancer mortality among American Indians and Alaska Natives: regional differences, 1994–1998. Indian Health Service; 2003., , ,
- 50Connecting to nativeness: the influence of women's American Indian identity on their health-care decisions. Can J Nurs Res. 2004; 36: 18–44..
- 57Cancer mortality among American Indians and Alaska Natives: regional differences, 1999-2003. Indian Health Service; 2008., , , .