Fax: (770) 488-4693.
Article first published online: 3 NOV 2008
Published 2008 by the American Cancer Society
Supplement: Assessing the Burden of HPV-Associated Cancers in the United States
Volume 113, Issue Supplement 10, pages 3047–3057, 15 November 2008
How to Cite
Saraiya, M., Goodman, M. T., Datta, S. D., Chen, V. W. and Wingo, P. A. (2008), Cancer registries and monitoring the impact of prophylactic human papillomavirus vaccines: The potential role. Cancer, 113: 3047–3057. doi: 10.1002/cncr.23755
This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
Marc Goodman has received support from Public Health Service contract N01-PC-67001 from the Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health. Phyllis Wingo has received support from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for her role as a consultant on this project.
The authors thank Mark Sherman, Hannah Weir, Lauri Markowitz, Mark Schiffman, Diane Solomon, Ken Gerlach, and Missy Jamison for reviewing earlier versions of this article.
The findings and conclusions of this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Issue published online: 3 NOV 2008
- Article first published online: 3 NOV 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 JUN 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 7 JUN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 14 APR 2008
- Cooperative Agreement. Grant Number: U50 DP424071-04
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- 8Effect of prophylactic human papillomavirus L1 virus-like-particle vaccine on risk of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia grade 2, grade 3, and adenocarcinoma in situ: a combined analysis of 4 randomised clinical trials. Lancet. 2007; 369: 1861–1868..
- 10Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), Immunization Unit. Ad hoc meeting of experts on surveillance of HPV-associated diseases in the americas. PAHO Immunization Newsletter. December 2006: 1–4.
- 11US Cancer Statistics Working Group. United States Cancer Statistics 1999-2003 Incidence and Mortality Web-based Report. Atlanta, Ga: US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Cancer Institute; 2007.
- 12IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans: Human Papillomavirus . Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2007..
- 15Burden of potentially HPV-associated cancers of the oropharynx and oral cavity in the United States, 1998-2003. Cancer. 2008; 113( suppl 6): 000–000., , , et al.
- 17American Association of Cancer Registries, Data Standards Committee. Subcommittee on Noninvasive Cervix Lesions, Working Group on Preinvasive Cervical Cancer Neoplasia and Population-based Cancer Registries: Final Subcommittee Report Rockville, MD, April 5-6, 1993.
- 18HavenerLA,HultstromD, eds. Standards for Cancer Registries Volume II: Data Standards and Data Dictionary, Eleventh Edition, Version 11.1. Springfield, Ill: North American Association of Central Cancer Registries; 2006. Available at: http://www.naaccr.org/filesystem/pdf/Volume%20II%20Version%2011.1.pdf. Accessed on July 16, 2008.
- 22Prospective follow-up suggests similar risk of subsequent cervical intraepithelial neoplasia grade 2 or 3 among women with cervical intraepithelial neoplasia grade 1 or negative colposcopy and directed biopsy. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 188: 1406–1412., , .
- 24Precancerous lesions of the cervix. In: KurmanRJ, ed. Blaustein's Pathology of the Female Genital Tract,5th ed. New York, NY: Springer- Verlag; 2001: 253–324., , .
- 28National Vaccine Advisory Committee. Development of Community and State-based Immunization Registries: Report of the National Vaccine Advisory Committee (NVAC). Atlanta, Ga: US Department of Health and Human Services, CDC; 1999.