Dr. Wells' contribution to this article was funded by a grant from the NCI (R25 CA090314; Paul B. Jacobsen, PhD, principal investigator).
Patient navigation: State of the art or is it science?†
Version of Record online: 8 SEP 2008
Copyright © 2008 American Cancer Society
Volume 113, Issue 8, pages 1999–2010, 15 October 2008
How to Cite
Wells, K. J., Battaglia, T. A., Dudley, D. J., Garcia, R., Greene, A., Calhoun, E., Mandelblatt, J. S., Paskett, E. D., Raich, P. C. and the Patient Navigation Research Program (2008), Patient navigation: State of the art or is it science?. Cancer, 113: 1999–2010. doi: 10.1002/cncr.23815
The following authors contributed substantially to the preparation of this article but were not included in the author listing because of the journal's limitation on the number of authors: Steven R. Patierno, PhD, George Washington Cancer Institute, George Washington School of Medicine and Health Sciences, George Washington School of Public Health and Health Services, Washington, DC; Richard G. Roetzheim, MD, MSPH, University of South Florida, Tampa, Fla; and Paul A. Young, MBA, MPH, NOVA Research Company, Bethesda, Md.
- Issue online: 3 OCT 2008
- Version of Record online: 8 SEP 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 MAY 2008
- Manuscript Received: 22 APR 2008
- National Cancer Institute (NCI)
- National Institutes of Health
- Department of Health and Human Services. Grant Number: UO1 CA 117281-01
- American Cancer Society (ACS). Grant Number: SIRSG-05-253-01
- 2National Cancer Policy Board. HewittM,SimoneJV, eds. Ensuring Quality Cancer Care. Institute of Medicine and Commission on Life Sciences, National Research Council. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1999.
- 3The Commonwealth Fund. The Commonwealth Fund Commission on a High Performance Health System, Why Not the Best? Results from a National Scorecard on US Health System Performance. The Commonwealth Fund, September 2006. Available at: http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/publications_show.htm?doc_id=401577. Accessed October 8, 2007.
- 6American Cancer Society. Cancer and the Poor: A Report to the Nation. Atlanta, Ga: American Cancer Society; 1989.
- 20Cancer and Elders of Color: Opportunities For Reducing Health Disparities. London, United Kingdom: Ashgate Publishing; 2005., , .
- 21C-Change. Cancer Patient Navigation: Published Information. Washington, DC: C-Change; 2005.,
- 22A model patient navigator program. Oncol Issues. 2004; 19: 44–46..
- 24Voices of a Broken System: Real People, Real Problems. President's Cancer Panel Report of the Chairman 2000-2001. Bethesda, Md: National Institutes of Health; 2001..
- 25American Cancer Society. Cancer Patients Can More Easily Navigate Health Care System Thanks to the American Cancer Society and AstraZeneca. Atlanta, Ga: American Cancer Society; 2008. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/MED/content/MED_2_1x_Cancer_Patients_Can_More_Easily_ Navigate_Health_Care_System_Thanks_to_the_American_Cancer_Society_and_AstraZeneca.asp?sitearea=MED. Accessed April 10,2008.
- 26Institute for Alternative Futures. Patient Navigator Program Overview April 13, 2007. A Report for the Disparity Reducing Advances (DRA) Project. Available at: http://www.altfutures.com/DRA/Patient%20Navigator%20Overview.pdf. Accessed December 28, 2007.
- 29A comparison of 2 Native American navigator formats: face-to-face and telephone. Cancer Control. 2005; 12( suppl 2): 28–33., , , et al.
- 31Patient navigation in cancer care: program delivery and research in British Columbia. Can Oncol Nurs J. 2003; 13: 193–193., , , et al.
- 36Implementing the role of a patient-navigator nurse at a university hospital centre. Can Oncol Nurs J. 2006; 16: 5–17., , , et al.
- 59How do you make a difference in patients' lives through your role as a nurse navigator [interview]? ONS Connect. 2007; 22: 12..
- 60Navigator role shows promise in decreasing cancer death rates for all populations [comment]. ONS Connect. 2007; 22: 5..
- 62Navigators: the champions of finding solutions to healthcare barriers. ONS Connect. 2007; 22: 29–29..
- 68Cancer Care Nova Scotia. Cancer Patient Navigation Evaluation: Final Report. Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada: Cancer Care Nova Scotia; 2004.
- 70National Cancer Institute. Community update: patient navigator program guides underserved cancer patients [serial online]. NCI Cancer Bull. 2005; 2: 8.
- 71Commission for Case Manager Certification. Case Management Practice. Available at: http://www.ccmcertification.org/pages/136body.html. Accessed March 13, 2007.
- 72National Cancer Institute. Dictionary of Cancer Terms. Bethesda, Md: National Cancer Institute; 2007. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/Templates/db_alpha.aspx?CdrID=44534. Accessed March 13,2007.
- 73Investigation and Assessment of the Navigator Role in Meeting the Information, Decisional and Educational Needs of Women with Breast Cancer in Canada: Canadian Breast Cancer Initiative: Health Canada. Ottawa, Ontario: Minister of Public Works and Government Services Canada; 2002., , .
- 75A National Patient Navigator Training Program. Presentation at the American Cancer Society Symposium, New Orleans, Louisiana, April 18-20, 2007., , , et al.