Dr. Bines has received honoraria from Astra-Zeneca and has acted as either a consultant or in an advisory role for Bristol Myers-Squibb and Astra-Zeneca.
A clinician's perspective
Article first published online: 3 OCT 2008
Copyright © 2008 American Cancer Society
Supplement: Guidelines for International Breast Health and Cancer Control–Implementation
Volume 113, Issue Supplement 8, pages 2353–2358, 15 October 2008
How to Cite
Bines, J. and Eniu, A. (2008), Effective but cost-prohibitive drugs in breast cancer treatment. Cancer, 113: 2353–2358. doi: 10.1002/cncr.23837
The views expressed in this article are the results of independent work and do not represent the views of the authors' institutions.
Complete financial disclosures are presented at the end of this article.
- Issue published online: 3 OCT 2008
- Article first published online: 3 OCT 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 JUN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 10 JUN 2008
- 2Ministry of Health of Brazil. National Cancer Institute Annual Report. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: Ministry of Health of Brazil; 2002.
- 9Updated results of the combined analysis of NCCTG N9831 and NSABP B-31 adjuvant chemotherapy with/without trastuzumab in patients with HER2-positive breast cancer [abstract]. ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings. J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 18S. Abstract 512., , , et al.
- 10BCIRG 006: docetaxel and trastuzumab-based regimens improve DFS and OS over AC-T in node positive and high risk node negative HER2 positive early breast cancer patients: quality of life (QOL) at 36 months follow-up [abstract]. ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings. J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 18S. Abstract 19647., , , et al.
- 17National Institutes of Health. Trastuzumab for 6 months or 1 year in treating women with nonmetastatic breast cancer that can be removed by surgery. Clinical trials no. NCT00381901. Bethesda, Md: National Institutes of Health; 2007. Available at:http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT00381901. Accessed on March 13, 2008.
- 18BIG 1-07/1BCSG 35-07 SOLE Ready for Activation. Breast International Group Newsletter. 2007; 9: 22., .
- 25Neo-adjuvant cisplatin (CDDP) in “triple-negative” breast cancer (BC). Presented at the 29th Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, San Antonio, Texas, December 14–17, 2006. Abstract 3074., , , et al.
- 27Metronomic chemotherapy with and without bevacizumab for advanced breast cancer: a randomized phase II study. Presented at the 28th Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, San Antonio, Texas, December 8–11, 2005. Abstract 4., , , et al.
- 28National Institutes of Health. Combination chemotherapy after surgery in treating patients with stage I, stage II, or stage III breast cancer. Clinical trials no. NCT00022516. Bethesda, Md: National Institutes of Health; 2007. Available at: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00022516?term=ibcsg+22&rank=1. Accessed on March 13, 2008.
- 29Megestrol acetate after aromatase inhibitor failure in metastatic breast cancer [abstract]. ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings. J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24. Abstract 10572., , .
- 30Intrinsic mechanism of estradiol-induced apoptosis in breast cancer cells resistant to estrogen deprivation. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005; 23: 1746–1759., , .