Fax: (302) 435-9225.
Implications for Disparities Reduction
Article first published online: 8 SEP 2008
Published 2008 American Cancer Society
Volume 113, Issue 10, pages 2790–2796, 15 November 2008
How to Cite
Chu, K. C., Chen, M. S., Dignan, M. B., Taylor, E., Partridge, E. and Community Network Program Principal Investigators (2008), Parallels between the development of therapeutic drugs and cancer health disparity programs. Cancer, 113: 2790–2796. doi: 10.1002/cncr.23879
This article is a US government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
The Community Network Program Principal Investigators are: Terrance Albrecht, PhD (Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute); Claudia Baquet, MD, MPH (University of Maryland School of Medicine); Laura Beebe, PhD (University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center); Dedra Buchwald, MD (University of Washington); Moon S. Chen Jr, PhD, MPH (University of California at Davis Cancer Center); Clayton Chong, MD (Papa Ola Lokahi, HI); Kathryn Coe, PhD (Inter-Tribal Council of Arizona); Graham Colditz, MD, DrPH (Washington University); Mark Dignan, PhD, MPH (University of Kentucky Research Foundation); Paula A. Espinoza, PhD (University of Colorado Health Sciences Center); Paul A. Godley, MD, PhD, MPP (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill); Margaret K. Hargreaves, PhD (Meharry Medical College); James R. Hebert, ScD, MSPH (University of South Carolina Research Foundation); Ronda Henry-Tillman, MD (University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences); Elmer Huerta, MD, MPH (MedStar Research Institute, Washington DC); Judith Kaur, MD, MA (Mayo Clinic College of Medicine); Howard Koh, MD, MPH (Harvard University School of Public Health); Grace X. Ma, PhD (Temple University); Cathy D. Meade, PhD, RN (H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute); Edward Partridge, MD (University of Alabama at Birmingham Comprehensive Cancer Center); Amelie Ramirez, DrPH, MPH (University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio); David Satcher, MD, PhD (Morehouse School of Medicine); Sora Park Tanjasiri, DrPH (California State University); Beti Thompson, PhD (Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center); and Victor Williams Tofaeono, MD (Lyndon Baines Johnson Tropical Medical Center, American Samoa).
- Issue published online: 3 NOV 2008
- Article first published online: 8 SEP 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 MAY 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 9 MAY 2008
- Manuscript Received: 28 MAR 2008
- Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities of the National Cancer Institute
- 1U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy People 2010. With Understanding and Improving Health and Objectives for Improving Health. 2nd ed. Washington DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; 2000.
- 2Methods for Measuring Cancer Disparities: A Review Using Data Relevant to Healthy People 2010 Cancer-related Objectives. Washington, DC: National Cancer Institute; 2006. Available at:http://seer.cancer.gov/publications/disparities/ Accessed September 20, 2007., .
- 3Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities, National Cancer Institute. Definition of Cancer Health Disparities. Washington, DC: Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities, National Cancer Institute; 2006. Available at:http://crchd.cancer.gov/definitions/defined.html Accessed September 20, 2007.
- 4Haynes MA,Smedley BD, eds. The Unequal Burden of Cancer: An Assessment of NIH Research and Programs for Ethnic Minorities and the Medically Underserved. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 1999.
- 5National Cancer Institute. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Special Populations Network for Cancer Awareness, Research and Training NIH Guide. RFA CA-99-003. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health; 1999. Available at:http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-CA-99-003.html Accessed September 20, 2007.
- 9National Cancer Institute, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Community Networks to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities. NIH Guide April 26, 2004. RFA CA-05-012. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health; 2005. Available at:http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-CA-05-012.html Accessed September 20, 2007.
- 10National Cancer Institute. Drug Discovery at the National Cancer Institute: Fact Sheet. Available at:http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/NCIdrugdiscovery Accessed September 24, 2007.
- 13Ries LAG,Melbert D,Krapcho M, et al, eds. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2004. Based on November 2006 SEER data submission. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2007. Available at:http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2004/results_merged/sect_04_breast.pdf Accessed September 20, 2007.
- 14Critical issues in developing and following community based participatory research principles. In: Minkler M,Wallerstein N, eds. Community Based Participatory Research for Health. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass; 2003: 53–76., , , , , .
- 16National Cancer Institute. National Evaluation of the Community Networks Program to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities through Education, Research, and Training. Annual Report for Year 2. Contract No. GS-10F-0114L, Order 263-FQ-514864. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2007.