Fax (011) 44 161 922 2508
Changes in cancer incidence in teenagers and young adults (ages 13 to 24 years) in England 1979‒2003†
Version of Record online: 7 OCT 2008
Copyright © 2008 American Cancer Society
Volume 113, Issue 10, pages 2807–2815, 15 November 2008
How to Cite
Alston, R. D., Geraci, M., Eden, T. O. B., Moran, A., Rowan, S. and Birch, J. M. (2008), Changes in cancer incidence in teenagers and young adults (ages 13 to 24 years) in England 1979‒2003. Cancer, 113: 2807–2815. doi: 10.1002/cncr.23901
Data used in this study were contributed by the 9 regional cancer registries in England. Census output is Crown copyrighted and is reproduced with the permission of the Controller of Her Majesty's Stationary Office and the Queen's Printer for Scotland.
- Issue online: 3 NOV 2008
- Version of Record online: 7 OCT 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 JUL 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 19 JUN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 18 MAR 2008
- Cancer Research UK
- Leukemia in Childhood/Sargent Cancer for Children (CLIC Sargent)
- 4World Health Organization. International Classification of Diseases, Injuries and Causes of Death. 9th rev. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 1975.
- 5World Health Organization. International Classification of Diseases for Oncology. 1st ed. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 1976.
- 6World Health Organization. International Classification of Diseases and Health Related Problems. 10th rev. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 1992.
- 7Percy C,Van Holten V,Muir C, eds. International Classification of Diseases for Oncology.2nd ed. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 1990.
- 9Quinn MJ,Wood HC,Rowan N, eds. Cancer Atlas of the United Kingdom and Ireland 1991‒2000. Studies on Medical and Population Subjects No. 68. London: Palgrave Macmillan; 2005.
- 10Generalized Linear Models. 2nd ed. London: Chapman and Hall; 1989., .
- 11Parkin DM,Whelan SL,Ferlay J,Teppo L,Thomas DB, eds.Cancer Incidence in 5 Continents. Vol VIII. Lyon, France: IARC Scientific Publications; 2002.
- 12Office for National Statistics. Update to Cancer Trends in England and Wales 1950‒1999. Available at: http://www. statistics.gov.uk/downloads/theme_health/cancertrends_5099. pdf. Accessed May 2007.
- 14Bleyer A,O'Leary M,Barr R,Ries LAG, eds. Cancer Epidemiology in Older Adolescents and Young Adults 15 to 29 Years of Age, Including SEER Incidence and Survival 1975‒2000. NIH Pub. No. 06‒5767. Bethesda, Md: National Cancer Institute; 2006.
- 15Cancer Trends in England and Wales, 1950‒1999. Studies on Medical and Population Subjects. No. 66. London: The Stationery Office; 2001., , , , .
- 18Office for National Statistics. Travel Trends: A Report on the 2005 International Passenger Survey. London: Palgrave-Macmillan; 2006.
- 24Committee on Medical Aspects of Radiation in the Environment (COMARE). The Distribution of Childhood Leukaemia and Other Childhood Cancers in Great Britain 1969‒1993. London: Health Protection Agency; 2006.
- 25Patterns of cancer in teenagers and young adults: implications for aetiology. In: Eden TOB,Carr RD,Bleyer A,Whiteson M, eds. Cancer and the Adolescent.2nd ed. London: Blackwell Publishing; 2005: 13‒31..
- 28The United Kingdom Collaborative Group for HIV and STI Surveillance. A Complex Picture. HIV and Other Sexually Transmitted Infections in the United Kingdom: 2006. London: Health Protection Agency, Centre for Infections; 2006.