Fax: (734) 936-8944
Version of Record online: 14 NOV 2008
Published 2008 by the American Cancer Society
Volume 113, Issue 12, pages 3382–3390, 15 December 2008
How to Cite
Zikmund-Fisher, B. J., Fagerlin, A. and Ubel, P. A. (2008), Improving understanding of adjuvant therapy options by using simpler risk graphics. Cancer, 113: 3382–3390. doi: 10.1002/cncr.23959
Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Society for Medical Decision Making, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 20, 2008.
The funding agreements ensured the authors' independence in designing the study, interpreting the data, and publishing the report.
The views expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the position or policy of the Department of Veterans Affairs.
The authors would like to acknowledge Ellen Peters, Isaac Lipkus, and Mick Couper for helpful discussions and comments; Rosemarie Pitsch for her project management; and Bob Burbach and Aaron Pearlman for creating the risk graphics and for programming, testing, and implementing the survey.
This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
- Issue online: 4 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 14 NOV 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 JUL 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 8 JUL 2008
- Manuscript Received: 2 APR 2008
- National Institutes for Health. Grant Numbers: R01 CA87595, P50 CA101451
- American Cancer Society. Grant Number: MRSG-06-130-01-CPPB
- Merit Review Entry Program early career award from the Department of Veterans Affairs
- 12The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, 2nd ed. Cheshire, Connecticut: Graphics Press; 2001..
- 13Graph Design for the Eye and Mind. New York: Oxford University Press; 2006..
- 22Stata Statistical Software, 10 ed. College Station, Texas: Stata Corporation; 2007.
- 23The adaptive decision maker: effort and accuracy in choice. In: HogarthRM, ed. Insights in Decision Making: A Tribute to Hillel J. Einhorn. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press; 1990: 129-153., , .
- 28Hope I die before I get old: mispredicting happiness across the lifespan. J Happiness Stud. 2006; 7: 167-182., , .
- 30The Paradox of Choice: Why More is Less. 1st ed. New York: Harper Collins; 2004..