Fax: (216) 445-2267
Routine perioperative chemotherapy instillation with initial bladder tumor resection
A reconsideration of economic benefits
Version of Record online: 22 JAN 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Cancer Society
Volume 115, Issue 5, pages 997–1004, 1 March 2009
How to Cite
Rao, P. K. and Stephen Jones, J. (2009), Routine perioperative chemotherapy instillation with initial bladder tumor resection. Cancer, 115: 997–1004. doi: 10.1002/cncr.24104
- Issue online: 18 FEB 2009
- Version of Record online: 22 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 SEP 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 18 AUG 2008
- Manuscript Received: 10 JUN 2008
- 3A single immediate postoperative instillation of chemotherapy decreases the risk of recurrence in patients with stage Ta T1 bladder cancer: a meta-analysis of published results of randomized clinical trials. J Urol. 2004; 171(6 pt 1): 2186-2190, quiz 2435., , .
- 5Sobin LH, Wittekind C, eds. TNM Classification of Malignant Tumors, 6th ed. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons; 2002.
- 10Single-dose versus multiple instillations of epirubicin as prophylaxis for recurrence after transurethral resection of pTa and pT1 transitional-cell bladder tumours: a prospective, randomized controlled study. Br J Urol. 1997; 79: 731-735., , , , .
- 11Intravesical adjuvant chemotherapy for superficial transitional cell bladder carcinoma: results of 2 European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer randomized trials with mitomycin C and doxorubicin comparing early versus delayed instillations and short-term versus long-term treatment. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Genitourinary Group. J Urol. 1995; 153(3 pt 2): 934-941., , , et al.
- 17[No authors listed]. The effect of intravesical thiotepa on tumour recurrence after endoscopic treatment of newly diagnosed superficial bladder cancer. A further report with long-term follow-up of a Medical Research Council randomized trial. Medical Research Council Working Party on Urological Cancer, Subgroup on Superficial Bladder Cancer. Br J Urol. 1994; 73: 632-638.
- 18A prospective European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Genitourinary Group randomized trial comparing transurethral resection followed by a single intravesical instillation of epirubicin or water in single stage Ta, T1 papillary carcinoma of the bladder. J Urol. 1993; 149: 749-752., , , , , .
- 19Perioperative single dose instillation of epirubicin or interferon-alpha after transurethral resection for the prophylaxis of primary superficial bladder cancer recurrence: a prospective randomized multicenter study—FinnBladder III long-term results. J Urol. 2002; 168: 981-985., , , , .
- 20Transurethral resection with perioperative instilation on interferon-alpha or epirubicin for the prophylaxis of recurrent primary superficial bladder cancer: a prospective randomized multicenter study—FinnBladder III. J Urol. 1999; 161: 1133-1135; discussion 1135-1136., , , et al.
- 22Effect of intravesical mitomycin C on recurrence of newly diagnosed superficial bladder cancer: interim report from the Medical Research Council Subgroup on Superficial Bladder Cancer (Urological Cancer Working Party). BMJ (Clin Res Ed). 1988; 296: 1759-1761., , , et al.
- 24Risk of post-operative intravesical mitomycin C instillation following transurethral bladder tumor resection. Can J Urol. 2006; 13: 3317-3320., , , , .
- 26Can early single dose instillation of epirubicin improve bacillus Calmette-Guerin efficacy in patients with nonmuscle invasive high risk bladder cancer? Results from a prospective, randomized, double-blind controlled study. J Urol. 2008; 180: 110-115., , , et al.