Fax: (770) 488-4639
An updated analysis of data from the National Program of Cancer Registries and the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program
Article first published online: 20 FEB 2009
Published 2009 American Cancer Society
Volume 115, Issue 9, pages 1967–1976, 1 May 2009
How to Cite
Rim, S. H., Seeff, L., Ahmed, F., King, J. B. and Coughlin, S. S. (2009), Colorectal cancer incidence in the United States, 1999-2004 . Cancer, 115: 1967–1976. doi: 10.1002/cncr.24216
The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
This article is a US government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
- Issue published online: 20 APR 2009
- Article first published online: 20 FEB 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 OCT 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 20 OCT 2008
- Manuscript Received: 26 JUN 2008
- 2U.S. Cancer Statistics Working Group. United States Cancer Statistics: 2004 Incidence and Mortality. Atlanta, Ga: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and National Cancer Institute; 2007.
- 13Colorectal cancer in African Americans. Am J Gastroenterol. 2005; 100: 515-523., , , et al.Direct Link:
- 16North American Association of Central Cancer Registries (NAACCR). NAACCR Data Standards for Cancer Registries. Springfield, Ill: NAACCR; 2008; Available at: http://www.naaccr.org. Accessed on June 26, 2008.
- 18Young JJ, Roffers S, Ries L, Fritz A, Hurlbut A, eds. SEER Summary Staging Manual-2000: Codes and Coding Instructions. NIH Publication No. 01-4969. Bethesda, Md: National Cancer Institute; 2001.
- 22Methodological Issues in Measuring Health Disparities. Report No. 141. Hyattsville, Md: National Center for Health Statistics; 2005., , , et al.
- 23Methods for Measuring Cancer Disparities: Using Data Relevant to Healthy People 2010 Cancer-Related Objectives. NCI Cancer Surveillance Monograph Series, No. 6. NIH Publication 05-5777. Bethesda, Md: National Cancer Institute; 2005., .
- 40Cancers of the colon and rectum. In: Schottenfeld D, Fraumeni J, eds. Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention.3rd ed. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 2006: 809-829., .
- 44Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Use of colorectal cancer tests—United States, 2002, 2004, and 2006. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2008; 57: 253-258.
- 45Screening and surveillance for the early detection of colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps, 2008: a joint guideline from the American Cancer Society, the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer, and the American College of Radiology. CA Cancer J Clin. 2008; 58: 130-160., , , et al.
- 48Technology Assessments for Cost-Effectiveness of DNA Stool Test to Screen for Colorectal Cancer. Washington, DC: Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services; 2007. Available at: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/mcd/viewtechassess.asp?from2=viewtechassess.asp&id=212& Accessed on October 19, 2008., , , , , .