Fax: (713) 792-0795
A woman's heart
The impact of adjuvant endocrine therapy on cardiovascular health
Version of Record online: 20 FEB 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Cancer Society
Volume 115, Issue 9, pages 1813–1826, 1 May 2009
How to Cite
Ewer, M. S. and Glück, S. (2009), A woman's heart. Cancer, 115: 1813–1826. doi: 10.1002/cncr.24219
- Issue online: 20 APR 2009
- Version of Record online: 20 FEB 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 OCT 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 25 OCT 2008
- Manuscript Received: 9 SEP 2008
- 1American Heart Association. Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics—2008 Update (At-a-Glance Version). Dallas, Tex: American Hearth Association; 2008. Available at: http://www.americanheart.org/downloadable/heart/120007860886 2HS_Stats%202008.final.pdf. Accessed on February 11, 2009.
- 2British Heart Foundation. European Cardiovascular Disease Statistics. London, United Kingdom: British Heart Foundation; 2005. Available at: www.heartstats.org. Accessed on February 11, 2009.
- 17Arimidex, Tamoxifen, Alone or in Combination Trialists' Group; , , , et al. Comprehensive side-effect profile of anastrozole and tamoxifen as adjuvant treatment for early stage breast cancer: long-term safety analysis of the ATAC trial. Lancet Oncol. 2006; 7: 633-643.
- 21Comparison of adverse effects on lipid metabolism of anastrozole with tamoxifen in adjuvant setting for postmenopausal women with early breast cancer [abstract]. Eur J Cancer. 2006; 4( suppl): 94. Abstract 172., , .
- 27Effects of third generation aromatase inhibitors on bone health and other safety parameters: results of an open, randomised, multi-centre study of letrozole, exemestane and anastrozole in healthy postmenopausal women. Eur J Cancer. 2007; 43: 2523-2531., , , et al.
- 30Novartis Pharmaceuticals. Femara [package insert]. East Hanover, NJ: Novartis Pharmaceuticals; 2006.
- 34The effect of exemestane, anastrozole and tamoxifen on the lipidemic profile of postmenopausal early breast cancer patients: preliminary results of NSAS (National Surgical Adjuvant Study) BC04, the TEAM Japan sub-study [abstract]. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2006; 100( suppl. 1): S188. Abstract 4051., , , et al.
- 36Lipid profile and homocysteine levels in postmenopausal women with early breast cancer at low risk treated for 2 years with exemestane: follow-up results of a randomized, placebo-controlled study [abstract]. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2005; 94( suppl. 1): S203. Abstract 4108., , , et al.
- 40A placebo-controlled trial examining the effects of letrozole on mammographic breast density and bone and lipid metabolism [abstract]. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2007; 106( suppl 1): S112. Abstract 2082., , , et al.
- 41AstraZeneca Canada Inc. Arimidex Product Monograph. Mississauga, Ontario, Canada: AstraZeneca Canada Inc.; 2008. Available at: http://www.astrazeneca.ca/en/search/?txtTerms=arimidex. Accessed August 15, 2008.
- 42Cardiovascular adverse events during adjuvant endocrine therapy for early breast cancer using letrozole or tamoxifen: updated safety analysis of trial BIG 1-98 [abstract]. J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25( 18 suppl):2007: 8s. Abstract 521., , , et al.
- 43on behalf of the ATAC Trialists' Group. A detailed analysis of the benefits of anastrozole over tamoxifen for venous thromboembolic events (VTEs) after 5 years treatment [abstract]. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2006; 100( suppl 1): S24. Abstract 104., ;
- 44NSABP B-42: a clinical trial to determine the efficacy of 5 years of letrozole compared with placebo in patients completing 5 years of hormonal therapy consisting of an aromatase inhibitor (AI) or tamoxifen followed by an AI in prolonging disease-free survival in postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive breast cancer. Clin Breast Cancer. 2006; 7: 416-421., , , et al.
- 49NCIC CTG MA.27: menopausal symptoms of ethnic minority women [abstract]. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2006; 100( suppl 1): S144. Abstract 3059., , , , , .
- 55Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults. Executive Summary of the Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). JAMA. 2001; 285: 2486-2497.
- 56National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; American College of Cardiology Foundation; American Heart Association. Implications of recent clinical trials for the National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel III guidelines. Circulation. 2004; 110: 227-239., , , et al.