Fax: (787) 758-8304
Incidence and mortality rates for colorectal cancer in Puerto Rico and among Hispanics, non-Hispanic whites, and non-Hispanic blacks in the United States, 1998-2002
Article first published online: 28 APR 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Cancer Society
Volume 115, Issue 13, pages 3016–3023, 1 July 2009
How to Cite
Soto-Salgado, M., Suárez, E., Calo, W., Cruz-Correa, M., Figueroa-Vallés, N. R. and Ortiz, A. P. (2009), Incidence and mortality rates for colorectal cancer in Puerto Rico and among Hispanics, non-Hispanic whites, and non-Hispanic blacks in the United States, 1998-2002. Cancer, 115: 3016–3023. doi: 10.1002/cncr.24340
- Issue published online: 19 JUN 2009
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 17 NOV 2008
- Manuscript Received: 2 SEP 2008
- National Cancer Institute. Grant Number: U54CA96297
- Puerto Rico Cancer Center/The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Partnership for Excellence in Cancer Research
- Research Centers in Minority Institutions Program. Grant Number: G12RR03051
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/National Program Cancer Registries. Grant Number: U58DP000782-01)
Vol. 115, Issue 21, 5126–5127, Article first published online: 16 SEP 2009
- 4Puerto Rico Department of Health. Puerto Rico Central Cancer Registry. Stat Fact Sheet. Cancer of the colon and rectum. Available at: http://www.salud.gov.pr/RCancer/Reports/Documents/Hojas%20informativas/Colon%20y%20 Recto.pdf. Accessed on June 19, 2008.
- 5RiesLAG, MelbertD, KrapchoM, et al, eds. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975–2005. Bethesda, Md: National Cancer Institute; 2008.
- 6American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts and Figures for Hispanics/Latinos 2003–2005. Atlanta, Ga: American Cancer Society; 2005.
- 13Puerto Rico Central Cancer Registry. Puerto Rico Cancer Incidence File (January, 2008). San Juan, PR: Division of Epidemiology, Puerto Rico Department of Health; 2008.
- 14Experience with the cancer registry in Puerto Rico [in Spanish]. Bol Asoc Med PR. 1991; 83: 258-260., .
- 15International Classification of Diseases for Oncology. 3rd ed. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2000., , , , .
- 16Puerto Rico Central Cancer Registry. Puerto Rico Mortality File (released August 2006). San Juan, PR: Division of Statistical Analysis, Auxiliary Secretarial for Planning and Development, Puerto Rico Department of Health; 2006.
- 17Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program, SEER Cancer Incidence Public-use Database, 1973–2002 ed (based on the November 2004 submission). Bethesda, Md: National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services; 2004.
- 18Surveillance Epidemiology and End Results. Policy for Calculating Hispanic Mortality. Bethesda, Md: National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services; 2002.
- 19Applied Spatial Statistics for Public Health Data. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.; 2004., .
- 22Statistical Methods for Rates and Proportions. 3rd ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.; 2003., , .
- 25Racial and ethnic differences in disease. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 1989: 281-283..
- 28Dietary practices, alcohol consumption, and smoking behavior: ethnic, sex, and acculturation differences. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr. 1995; 18: 73-82., , , .
- 29The Hispanic Population in the United States. Washington, DC: US Census Bureau; 2001., .
- 31Surveillance for certain health behaviors among states and selected local areas—Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2004. MMWR CDC Surveill Summ. 2006; 55: 1-124., , , et al.
- 33Prevalence and associated factors of diabetes mellitus in Puerto Rican adults: Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 1999. PR Health Sci J. 2001; 20: 147-155., .
- 34Mismatch repair proteins and colorectal cancer in Hispanics [abstract]. Gastroenterology. 2008; 134( suppl 1)., , , , , .
- 41Screening and surveillance for the early detection of colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps, 2008: a joint guideline from the American Cancer Society, the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer, and the American College of Radiology. CA Cancer J Clin. 2008; 58: 130-160., , , et al.
- 42Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Survey Data. Atlanta, Georgia: US Department of Health and Human Services, CDC; 2006.
- 43Puerto Rico Department of Health. Puerto Rico Central Cancer Registry. Top Ten Cancer Sites, Puerto Rico, 2003. Available at: http://www.salud.gov.pr/RCancer/Reports/Documents/Incidencia,%202003.pdf. Accessed on July 22, 3008.