Fax: (216) 778-5935
Article first published online: 4 SEP 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Cancer Society
Supplement: Cancer Survivorship Research: Mapping the New Challenges Atlanta, Georgia, Supplement to Cancer
Volume 115, Issue Supplement 18, pages 4298–4310, 15 September 2009
How to Cite
Rose, J. H., Kypriotakis, G., Bowman, K. F., Einstadter, D., O'Toole, E. E., Mechekano, R. and Dawson, N. V. (2009), Patterns of adaptation in patients living long term with advanced cancer. Cancer, 115: 4298–4310. doi: 10.1002/cncr.24584
Cosponsored by the National Cancer Institute's Office of Cancer Survivorship, the Office of Cancer Survivorship of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the American Cancer Society's Behavioral Research Center.
Presented at the Fourth Biennial Cancer Survivorship Research Conference entitled “Cancer Survivorship Research: Mapping the New Challenges,” Atlanta, Georgia, June 18-20, 2008.
- Issue published online: 4 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 4 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 JUN 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 8 APR 2009
- Manuscript Received: 15 JAN 2009
- National Cancer Institute. Grant Number: R01-CA10282
- Department of Veterans Affairs Health Services Research and Development. Grant Number: Merit: HR-03-255
- American Cancer Society. Grant Number: ROG-04-090-01
- 1Survivorship research: past, present, and future. In: GanzPA, ed. Cancer Survivorship: Today and Tomorrow. New York, NY: Springer; 2007: 28-42..
- 2HewittM, GreenfieldS, StovallE, eds. From Cancer Patient to Cancer Survivor: Lost in Transition. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2006.
- 8Survivorship. Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2006; 10: 93-98..
- 17Management of anxiety and depression in adult cancer patients: toward an evidence-based approach. In: ChangA, GanzP, HayesT, et al, eds. Oncology: An Evidence-Based Approach. New York, NY: Springer-Verlag; 2006: 1552-1579., , , .
- 21National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Clinical practice guidelines in oncology: distress management v.1.2009. Available at: http://www.nccn.org/Professionals/Physicians_gls/PDF/distress.pdf Accessed on November 30, 2008.
- 25National Consensus Project. Clinical Practice Guidelines for Palliative Care. Available at: http://www.nationalconsensusproject.org. Accessed December 20, 2008.
- 26Overview of the domains of variables relevant to end-of-life care. J Palliat Med. 2005; 8( suppl 1): S22-S29..
- 30Institute of Medicine (IOM). Cancer Care for the Whole Patient: Meeting Psychosocial Health Needs. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2007.
- 31Patient-Centered Communication in Cancer Care: Promoting Healing and Reducing Suffering. Bethesda, Md: National Cancer Institute; 2007., .
- 32Institute of Medicine/National Research Council (IOM/RRC). From Cancer Patient to Cancer Survivor: Lost in Transition. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2006.
- 38The logic and implications of a person-oriented approach. In: CairnsRB, BergmanR, KaganJ, eds. Methods and Models for Studying the Individual. Thousand Oaks, Calif: Sage Publications; 1998: 33-64.
- 39Mplus User's Guide, 5th ed. Los Angeles, Calif: Muthen & Muthen; 1998-2007., .
- 40Latent variable analysis: growth mixture modeling and related techniques or longitudinal data. In: KaplanD, ed. Handbook of Quantitative Methodology for the Social Sciences. Newbury Park, Calif: Sage Publications; 2004: 345-368..
- 41Latent variable mixture modeling. In: MarcoulidesGA, SchumackerRE, eds. Advanced Structural Equation Modeling: New Developments and Techniques. Mahwah, NJ: L. Erlbaum Associates; 2000: 1-33..
- 44Chi-square difference testing using the S-B scaled chi-square. Available at: http://www.statmodel.com/chidiff.shtml. Accessed December 3, 2008., .
- 46How do men “make sense” of their prostate cancer? Age and treatment factors [abstract]. Gerontologist. 2003; 43( special issue 1): 342-343., , , .
- 50Social-psychological theories and their applications to aging: from individual to collective. In: BengstonVL, SchaieKW, eds. Handbook of Theories of Aging. New York, NY: Springer Publishing; 1999: 209-226., .