Fax: (206) 667-5977
Evaluating the cost-effectiveness of cancer patient navigation programs: Conceptual and practical issues†
Version of Record online: 14 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Cancer Society
Volume 115, Issue 23, pages 5394–5403, 1 December 2009
How to Cite
Ramsey, S., Whitley, E., Mears, V. W., McKoy, J. M., Everhart, R. M., Caswell, R. J., Fiscella, K., Hurd, T. C., Battaglia, T., Mandelblatt, J. and for the Patient Navigation Research Program Group (2009), Evaluating the cost-effectiveness of cancer patient navigation programs: Conceptual and practical issues. Cancer, 115: 5394–5403. doi: 10.1002/cncr.24603
The following are Patient Navigation Research Program Principal Investigators: Charles L. Bennett, MD, PhD, MPP (Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Ill); Elizabeth Calhoun, PhD (Health Policy and Administration, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Ill); Donald J. Dudley, MD (University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, San Antonio, Tex); Kevin Fiscella, MD, MPH (University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY); Karen M. Freund, MD, MPH and Tracy Battaglia, MD, MPH (Co-Principal Investigators) (Boston University Medical Center, Women's Health Research Unit, Boston, Mass); Victoria Warren Mears, PhD (Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board, Portland, Ore); Electra D. Paskett, PhD (Division of Epidemiology, College of Public Health, Comprehensive Cancer Center, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio); Steven R. Patierno, PhD (George Washington University Cancer Institute, Washington, DC); Peter C. Raich, MD (Denver Health and Hospital Authority, Denver, Colo); and Richard G. Roetzheim, MD, MSPH (H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, Fla). The following are Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities Patient Navigation Research Program Directors: Roland Garcia, PhD; Mary Ann Van Duyn, PhD; and Emmanuel Taylor, DrPH. The following are NOVA Research Company Project Managers: Amanda Greene, PhD, MPH, RN and Paul Young, MPH, MBA.
- Issue online: 19 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 14 AUG 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 15 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Received: 24 SEP 2008
- National Cancer Institute, via the Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities. Grant Number: 263-FQ-612391
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: U01 CA116892, U01 CA117281, U01 CA116903, U01 CA116937, U01 CA116924, U01 CA116885, U01 CA116875, U01 CA116925
- American Cancer Society Grant. Grant Number: SIRSG-05-253-01
- National Cancer Institute. Grant Numbers: U01 CA88283, KO5 CA96940
- 1Disparities in adherence to recommended followup on screening mammography: interaction of sociodemographic factors. Ethn Dis. 2002; 12: 77-86., .
- 3Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities. Economic Costs of Cancer Health Disparities. Bethesda, Md: National Cancer Institute, National Institute of Health; 2007.
- 5Physician-reported reasons for limited follow-up of patients with a positive fecal occult blood test screening result. Am J Gastroenterol. 2003; 98: 2078-2081., , , et al.Direct Link:
- 10Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities. Patient Navigation Research Program (PNRP) Overview. 2007. Available at: http://crchd.cancer.gov/pnp/pnrp-overview.html Accessed April 11, 2007.
- 12Investigation and Assessment of the “Navigator Role” in Meeting the Information, Decisional and Educational Needs of Women with Breast Cancer in Canada. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Canadian Breast Cancer Initiative, Health Canada, 2002., , .
- 18Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the Schneider Institute for Health Policy, and the Heller School for Social Policy and Management. Evidence Report and Evidence Based Recommendations: Cancer Prevention and Treatment Demonstration for Ethnic and Racial Minorities. Waltham, Mass: Brandeis University; 2003.
- 19Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2002., , .
- 27Cost-Effectiveness in Health and Medicine. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 1996., , , .