Fax: (617) 264-6848
The impact of Medicaid coverage and reimbursement on access to diagnostic mammography
Article first published online: 2 SEP 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Cancer Society
Volume 115, Issue 23, pages 5566–5578, 1 December 2009
How to Cite
Schuur, J. D., Shah, A., Wu, Z., Forman, H. P. and Gross, C. P. (2009), The impact of Medicaid coverage and reimbursement on access to diagnostic mammography. Cancer, 115: 5566–5578. doi: 10.1002/cncr.24637
- Issue published online: 19 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 2 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 20 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Received: 23 DEC 2008
- Beeson Career Development. Grant Number: 1 K08 AG24842
- Americans Independence Center at Yale. Grant Number: P30AG21342
- 2American Cancer Society. American Cancer Society guidelines for the early detection of cancer, 2004. CA Cancer J Clin. 2004; 54: 41-52., , ;
- 3US Preventative Services Task Force. Screening for Breast Cancer: Recommendations and Rationale. 2006. Available at: http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/3rduspstf/breastcancer Accessed March 30, 2006.
- 4International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) Handbooks of Cancer Prevention. Vol. 7: Breast Cancer Screening. Lyon, France: IARC Press; 2002., , eds;
- 22Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability. Access to Mammography Services in Florida Is More Limited for Low-Income Women. Tallahassee, Fla: Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability; 2004.
- 23General Accounting Office. Mammography: Current Nationwide Capacity Is Adequate, but Access Problems May Exist in Certain Locations. Washington, DC: General Accounting Office; 2006.
- 24Missing the Mark: HHC Mammogram Wait Time Off Target. New York, NY: Public Advocate for the City of New York; 2006., , , , .
- 25A look ahead: experts offer advice on making Medicare reimbursements work for medical imagers. Med Imag. 2005. Available at: http://www.imagingeconomics.com/issues/articles/MI_2005-01_03.asp Accessed on May 1, 2009..
- 26Improving Breast Imaging Quality Standards. Washington, DC: Institute of Medicine and National Research Council; 2005., .
- 27Institute of Medicine National Cancer Policy Board and Global Affairs Board on Science, Technology, and Economic Policy; Committee on New Approaches to Early Detection and Diagnosis of Breast Cancer. Increased Access to High-Quality Mammography Needed to Reduce Cancer Deaths; Shortage of Screening Specialists Should Be Addressed to Deal With Capacity Crisis. Bethesda, Md: Institute of Medicine; 2004. Available at: http://www.nationalacademies. org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=11016 Accessed November 1, 2008.
- 33IsaacsSL, KnickmannJR, eds. The Dartmouth Atlas of Health Care. Princeton, NJ: The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation; 2006. Available at: http://www.dartmouthatlas.org Accessed October 1, 2005.
- 34Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Medicare Physician Fee Schedule Look-Up. Available at: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/PFSLookup Accessed November 1, 2008.
- 35Trends: changes in Medicaid physician fees, 1998-2003: implications for physician participation [serial online]. Health Aff (Millwood). 2004; W4(suppl web exclusives): 374-384., , , .
- 37US Food and Drug Administration. FDA Listing of Mammography Quality and Safety Act-Certified Mammography Facilities. Washington, DC: US Food and Drug Administration; 2006.
- 40[No authors listed] High-quality mammography: information for referring providers. Clin Pract Guide Quick Ref Guide Clin. 1994; 13: 1-18.
- 41Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Third Next Available Appointment. IHI website. Available at: http://www.ihi.org/IHI/Topics/OfficePractices/Access/Measures/Third+Next+ Available+Appointment.htm Accessed March 30, 2009.
- 42Hierarchical Linear Models. 2nd ed. London, United Kingdom: Sage; 2002., .
- 43http://www.statehealthfacts.org Accessed August 1, 2006.. Kaiser Family Foundation. State Health Facts. Available at:
- 44GLLAMM Manual. University of California Berkeley Division of Biostatistics Working Paper Series. Berkeley, Calif: University of California at Berkeley; 2004: 33-39., , .
- 45The worthiest of causes. Am Coll Radiol Bull. 2006; 61: 1..
- 47Office of US Senator Charles Schumer. Press Release, February 18, 2001. Schumer: lack of access to mammograms puts thousands of New York City and Long Island women at risk. Available at: http://schumer.senate.gov/1-Senator%20Schumer%20Website%20Files/pressroom/press_ releases/PR00494.html Accessed March 30, 2006.
- 54The inequity of Medicaid reimbursement in the United States. Appl Health Econ Health Policy. 2002; 1: 25-32..
- 56Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Medicaid website. Available at: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/MedicaidEligibility/03_MandatoryEligibilityGroups Accessed August 1, 2006.
- 57Voices of a broken system. Real problems, real people. In: President's Cancer Panel, Report of the Chairman, 2000-2001. Bethesda, Md: National Cancer Program, National Cancer Institute; 2001., .