The fifth, sixth, and seventh authors contributed equally to this article.
A black-white comparison of the quality of stage-specific colon cancer treatment
Article first published online: 30 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Cancer Society
Volume 116, Issue 3, pages 713–722, 1 February 2010
How to Cite
Berry, J., Caplan, L., Davis, S., Minor, P., Counts-Spriggs, M., Glover, R., Ogunlade, V., Bumpers, K., Kauh, J., Brawley, O. W. and Flowers, C. (2010), A black-white comparison of the quality of stage-specific colon cancer treatment. Cancer, 116: 713–722. doi: 10.1002/cncr.24757
- Issue published online: 25 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 30 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 14 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Received: 8 MAY 2009
- 1American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts and Figures 2008. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society; 2008.
- 2American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts and Figures for African Americans 2007-2008. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society; 2007.
- 3Racial and ethnic factors in the genetic pathogenesis of colorectal cancer. J Assoc Acad Minor Phys. 1999; 10: 59-67..
- 8http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2003/ Accessed March 17, 2007., , , et al, eds. Surveillance Epidemiology and End Results cancer statistics review, 1975-2003, National Cancer Institute. Available at:
- 11Racial/ethnic differences in screening for colon cancer: report from the New York cancer project. Ethn Dis. 2005; 15: 76-83., , , et al.
- 14Variation in quality of men's healthcare by race/ethnicity and social class. Med Care. 2005; 43: 172-181., , , , , .
- 21Racial and ethnic differences in access to medical care. Med Care Res Rev. 2000; 57( suppl 1): 163-197., , .
- 25Patterns of care for adjuvant therapy in a random population-based sample of patients diagnosed with colorectal cancer. Am J Gastroenterol. 2006; 101: 2308-2318., , , , , .Direct Link:
- 29National Academy of Sciences. Envisioning the National Health Care Quality Report. Available at: http://www.nap.edu/books/ 030907343X/html Accessed May 16, 2005.
- 30The NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology Colon Cancer (Version 1.2006). National Comprehensive Cancer Network, Inc. 2006. Available at: http://www.nccn.org. Accessed on October 26, 2006.
- 31American Society of Clinical Oncology. Quality Oncology Practice Initiative. Available at: http://gicancers.asco.org/ASCO/Quality+Care+%26+Guidelines/Quality+Measurement+%26+Improvement/Quality+Oncology+Practice+Initiative Accessed on May 16, 2005.
- 32Institute of Medicine. Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Healthcare. Washington, DC: Institute of Medicine of the National Academies Press; 2003.
- 33Healthy People 2010. Cancer. Available at: http://www.healthypeople.gov/document/html/volume1/03Cancer.htm Accessed August 1, 2005.
- 34Healthy People 2010. A Systematic Approach to Health Improvement 2000. Available at: http://www.healthypeople.gov/Document/HTML/uih/uih_2.htm Accessed August 1, 2005.
- 35Trans-Health and Human Services Cancer Health Disparities Progress Review Group. Making Cancer Health Disparities History. Washington, DC: US Department of Health and Human Services; 2004.
- 36President's Cancer Panel Report of the Chairman 2000-2001. Voices of a Broken System: Real People, Real Problems (DHHS NIH Publication No. 03-5301). Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office; 2002.
- 49U.S. Census Bureau. Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2007 (U.S. Census Bureau Current Population Reports No. P60-235). Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office; 2008.
- 53The national healthcare quality and disparities reports: an overview. Med Care 2005; 43( suppl 3): 3-8., , , et al.