Fax: (011) 39 (0) 972 726217
A retrospective study of 74 patients enrolled in an Italian named patient program
Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2010
Copyright © 2010 American Cancer Society
Volume 116, Issue 6, pages 1485–1494, 15 March 2010
How to Cite
Musto, P., Maurillo, L., Spagnoli, A., Gozzini, A., Rivellini, F., Lunghi, M., Villani, O., Aloe-Spiriti, M. A., Venditti, A. and Santini, V. (2010), Azacitidine for the treatment of lower risk myelodysplastic syndromes. Cancer, 116: 1485–1494. doi: 10.1002/cncr.24894
Presented in part as an oral presentation at the 13th Congress of the European Hematology Association, Copenhagen, Denmark, June 12-15, 2008; and as a poster presentation at the 50th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Hematology, San Francisco, California, December 6-9, 2008.
The following are members of the Italian Cooperative Study Group on Azacitidine in Myelodysplastic Syndromes and Acute Leukemias: Giuseppe Leone and Maria Teresa Voso, Chair of Hematology, “Sacro Cuore” Catholic University, Rome; Alfonso Maria D'Arco, Department of Onco-Hematology, “Umberto I” Hospital, Nocera, Salerno; Caterina Tatarelli, “S. Andrea” Hospital, Rome; Dario Ferrero, Chair of Hematology, University of Turin, Turin; Gianluca Gaidano, Department of Hematology, “A. Avogadro” University, Novara; Giuseppe Palumbo and Francesco Di Raimondo, Chair of Hematology, University of Catania, Catania; Esther Oliva, Department of Hematology, “Bianchi-Melacrino-Morelli” Hospital, Reggio Calabria; Grazia Sanpaolo, Department of Hematology, Scientific Institute of Research and Cure, “Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza” Hospital, S. Giovanni Rotondo, Foggia; Anna Tonso, Internal Medicine, Civic Hospital, Biella; Alberto Santagostino, Department of Internal Medicine, Civic Hospital, Vercelli; Nunzio Filardi, Department of Hematology, “S. Carlo” Hospital, Potenza; Berardino Pollio, Department of Hematology and Transfusion Service, Civic Hospital, Ivrea; Anna Candoni, Chair of Hematology, University of Udine, Udine; Carla Fili and Domenico Russo, Chair of Hematology, University of Brescia, Brescia; Enrico Orciuolo and Mario Petrini, Chair of Hematology, University of Pisa, Pisa; Lucia Ciuffreda and Antonio Riezzo, Department of Hematology, “S. Nicola Pellegrino” Hospital, Trani; Fortunato Morabito, Department of Hematology, “Annunziata” Hospital, Cosenza; Patrizio Mazza, Department of Hematology, “Moscati” Hospital, Taranto; Domenico Pastore and Giorgina Specchia, Chair of Hematology, University of Bari, Bari; and Felicetto Ferrara, Department of Hematology, “A. Cardarelli” Hospital, Naples, Italy.
- Issue online: 3 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 29 JUN 2009
- Manuscript Received: 13 MAR 2009
- 5SwerdlowSH, CampoE, HarrisNL, et al, eds. WHO Classification of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues. 4th ed. Lyon, France: World Health Organization; 2008.
- 8An assessment of erythroid response to epoetin a as a single agent versus in combination with granulocyte- or granulocyte-macrophage-colony-stimulating factor in myelodysplastic syndromes using a meta-analysis approach. Cancer. 2009; 115: 706-715., , , et al.
- 21National Comprehensive Cancer Network. NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. Myelodysplastic Syndromes. V. 1.2009. Available at: http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/PDF/mds.pdf Accessed March 9, 2009.
- 32Azacitidine (Aza C) in myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS), CALGB studies 8421 and 8921 [abstract]. Ann Hematol. 1994; 68( suppl). Abstract 46., , , et al.
- 40The effects of continued azacitidine (AZA) treatment cycles on response in higher-risk patients (pts) with myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) [abstract]. Blood (ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts). 2008; 112. Abstract 227., , , et al.
- 41Treatment of high-risk MDS patients (pts) with −7/del(7q) with azacitidine (AZA) versus conventional care regimens (CCR): effects on overall survival (OS) [abstract]. J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26( May 20 suppl). Abstract 7033., , , et al.
- 42Outcomes of MDS patients with chromosome 7 abnormalities treated with 5-azacytidine [abstract]. Blood (ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts). 2007; 110. Abstract 1449., , , , , .
- 43Treatment of patients with low-risk myelodysplastic syndromes receiving azacitidine who are enrolled in AVIDA, a longitudinal patient registry [abstract]. Blood (ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts). 2008; 112. Abstract 1646., , , , , .
- 47Future directions in myelodysplastic syndrome: newer agents and the role of combination approaches. Cancer Control. 2008; 15( suppl): 40-49., .