Fax: (303) 838-7629
Version of Record online: 29 JAN 2010
Copyright © 2010 American Cancer Society
Volume 116, Issue 6, pages 1560–1571, 15 March 2010
How to Cite
Burhansstipanov, L., Krebs, L. U., Seals, B. F., Bradley, A. A., Kaur, J. S., Iron, P., Dignan, M. B., Thiel, C. and Gamito, E. (2010), Native American breast cancer survivors' physical conditions and quality of life. Cancer, 116: 1560–1571. doi: 10.1002/cncr.24924
This article is to honor the many contributions of our colleagues and friends, Mr. Eduard Gamito and Rosanne Wyman.
This study was made possible through the assistance of Native American patient advocates: Loretta Denny, Becky Dreadfulwater, Lisa D. Harjo, the National Indian Women's Health Resource Center, Winona Johnson, Arlene Wahwasuck, Rosanne Wyman, and Brenda Yazzie.
- Issue online: 3 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 29 JAN 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 14 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 28 JAN 2009
- National Cancer Institute. Grant Number: NCI R25 CA 101938
- Mayo Clinic's Spirit of Eagles Community Network Programs. Grant Number: NCI U01 CA 114609
- 1National Cancer Institute. Cancer Trends Progress Report–2007. Available at: http://progressreport.cancer.gov/print.asp Accessed August 14, 2008.
- 2Cancer incidence, mortality, and survival among racial and ethnic minority groups in the United States. In: SchottenfeldD, FraumeniJFJr, eds. Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 1996, 191-235., , .
- 3Cancer in the Alaska Native Population: Eskimo, Aleut, and Indian Incidence and Trends 1969-1988. Anchorage, AK: Alaska Area Native Health Service; 1993., , , et al.
- 4Cancer prevention and early detection in American Indian and Alaska Native populations. In: Frank-StombergM, OlsenSJ, eds. Cancer Prevention in Diverse Populations: Cultural Implications for the Multi-Disciplinary Team. St. Louis, MO: Mosby Publisher; 2001, 1-56., .
- 11Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institutes of Health. Cancer. Healthy People 2010 Stat Notes. 2000; 1: 3-4.
- 12Cancer Mortality Among American Indians and Alaska Natives: Regional Differences, 1999-2003. Rockville, MD: Indian Health Service; 2008., , , .
- 13US Census Bureau. American Indian, Alaska Native Tables from the Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2004-2005. Available at: http://www.census.gov/statab/www/sa04aian.pdf Accessed July 11, 2009.
- 14Native American Monograph 1: Documentation of the Cancer Res. Needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. NIH Pub. No. 94-3603. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 1994., .
- 15Cancer Education Resources for American Indians and Alaska Natives. NIH Pub. No. 94-3706. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 1994., .
- 16National Cancer Institute's Native American Cancer Res. Projects Alaska Med. 1994; 35: 248-254..
- 17Breast cancer screening among American Indians and Alaska Natives. Fed Practitioner. 1998; 15: 12-25., .
- 20Lessons learned from Native American cancer prevention, control and supportive care projects. Asian Am Pac Isl J Health. 1998; 6: 91-99..
- 23Social Foundations of Thought and Action: A Social Cognitive Theory. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall; 1986..
- 24GlanzK, LewisFM, RimerBK, eds. Health Behavior and Health Education: Theory, Research, and Practice. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers; 1997.
- 25Theory at a Glance: A Guide for Health Promotion Practice. NIH Pub No. 05-3896. Washington, DC: Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health; 2005. Available at: www.nci.nih.gov/theory Accessed May 17, 2008., .
- 26The Sacred Tree. Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada: Four Worlds Development Press; 1984., , , .
- 34Searching for the meaning of pain. Cancer Pract. 1993; 1: 185-194., , , , .
- 35Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences. 2nd ed. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; 1988..
- 36Nonparametric Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 1956..
- 37SPSS. Base User's Guide. Version 17. Chicago, Ill: SPSS, Inc; 2007. Available at: www.spss.com Accessed on July 29, 2008.
- 39Health-related behavior change after cancer: results of the American Cancer Society's Studies of Cancer Survivors. 2008, Available at http://www.cancer.org. Accessed July 2008., , , , , .