Higher population-based incidence rates of triple-negative breast cancer among young African-American women †
Implications for breast cancer screening recommendations
Article first published online: 10 JAN 2011
Copyright © 2011 American Cancer Society
Volume 117, Issue 12, pages 2747–2753, 15 June 2011
How to Cite
Amirikia, K. C., Mills, P., Bush, J. and Newman, L. A. (2011), Higher population-based incidence rates of triple-negative breast cancer among young African-American women . Cancer, 117: 2747–2753. doi: 10.1002/cncr.25862
The ideas and opinions expressed herein are those of the authors, and endorsement by the State of California, Department of Public Health, the National Cancer Institute, or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or their contractors and subcontractors is not intended nor should it be implied.
- Issue published online: 7 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 10 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 NOV 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 11 NOV 2010
- Manuscript Received: 27 OCT 2010
- 1American Cancer Society. Breast Cancer Facts & Figures, 2009-2010. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society; 2010.
- 6Breast cancer subtypes as defined by the estrogen receptor (ER), progesterone receptor (PR), and the human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) among women with invasive breast cancer in California, 1999-2004. Breast J. 2009; 15: 593-602., , , .
- 7The role of human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 in the survival of women with estrogen and progesterone receptor-negative, invasive breast cancer: the California Cancer Registry, 1999-2004. Cancer. 2008; 112: 737-747., , , , .
- 8Descriptive analysis of estrogen receptor (ER)-negative, progesterone receptor (PR)-negative, and HER2-negative invasive breast cancer, the so-called triple-negative phenotype: a population-based study from the California Cancer Registry. Cancer. 2007; 109: 1721-1728., , , , .
- 9National Cancer Institute; Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results Program. SEER*Stat software, version 6.5.2. http://seer.cancer.gov/seerstat/. Accessed December 1, 2009.
- 12Horner MJ, Ries LAG, Krapcho M, et al, eds. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2006 [based on the November 2008 SEER data submission, posted to the SEER website, 2009]. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2009.
- 13Differences in breast carcinoma characteristics in newly diagnosed African-American and Caucasian patients: a single-institution compilation compared with the National Cancer Institute's Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results database. Cancer. 2007; 110: 876-884., , , et al.
- 22Mammography and ultrasound features of triple-negative breast cancer [published online ahead of print October 23, 2010]. Breast Cancer. 2010., .