Fax: (212) 824-2317
Article first published online: 13 FEB 2012
Copyright © 2012 American Cancer Society
Volume 118, Issue 18, pages 4478–4485, 15 September 2012
How to Cite
Wisnivesky, J. P., Halm, E. A., Bonomi, M., Smith, C., Mhango, G. and Bagiella, E. (2012), Postoperative radiotherapy for elderly patients with stage III lung cancer. Cancer, 118: 4478–4485. doi: 10.1002/cncr.26585
We acknowledge the efforts of the Applied Research Branch, Division of Cancer Prevention and Population Science, National Cancer Institute; the Office of Information Services and the Office of Strategic Planning, Health Care Finance Administration; Information Management Services, Inc.; and the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program tumor registries in the creation of the SEER-Medicare Database. The interpretation and reporting of these data are the sole responsibilities of the authors.
The sponsors of the study had no role in the study design, data collection, analysis, and interpretation, or writing of the report.
Dr. Wisnivesky had full access to all of the data in the study and takes responsibility for the integrity of the data and the accuracy of the data analysis.
- Issue published online: 5 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 13 FEB 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 SEP 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 2 SEP 2011
- Manuscript Received: 29 JUL 2011
- the National Cancer Institute. Grant Number: 5R01CA131348–02
- 1Surgery for early stage non-small cell lung cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; (1): CD004699., , , , .
- 7National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN). NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Version VI 2010. Jenkintown, Pa: NCCN; 2010.
- 9Effects of postoperative mediastinal radiation on completely resected stage II and stage III epidermoid cancer of the lung. The Lung Cancer Study Group. N Engl J Med. 1986; 315: 1377-1381.
- 11The role of post-operative radiotherapy in non-small-cell lung cancer: a multicentre randomised trial in patients with pathologically staged T1-2, N1-2, M0 disease. Medical Research Council Lung Cancer Working Party. Br J Cancer. 1996; 74: 632-639., , , , , .
- 13Postoperative radiotherapy in non-small-cell lung cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis of individual patient data from 9 randomised controlled trials. PORT Meta-Analysis Trialists Group. Lancet. 1998; 352: 257-263.
- 14PORT Meta-Analysis Trialists Group. Postoperative radiotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; (2): CD002142.
- 16The role of postoperative radiotherapy for patients with completely resected nonsmall cell lung carcinoma: seeking to optimize local control and survival while minimizing toxicity. Cancer. 1999; 86: 195-196..
- 19SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2006. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2008. Available at: http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2006/. Based on November 2008 SEER data submission, posted to the SEER web site, 2009. [Accessed May 15, 2011.], , , et al. eds.
- 20Overview of the SEER-Medicare data: content, research applications, and generalizability to the United States elderly population. Med Care. 2002; 40( 8 suppl): IV-3-IV-18., , , , .
- 23The IASLC Lung Cancer Staging Project: validation of the proposals for revision of the T, N, and M descriptors and consequent stage groupings in the forthcoming (seventh) edition of the TNM Classification of Malignant Tumours. J Thorac Oncol. 2007; 2: 694-705., , , et al.
- 24Use of SEER-Medicare data for measuring cancer surgery. Med Care. 2002; 40( 8 suppl): IV-43-IV-8., , , , , .
- 25Studying radiation therapy using SEER-Medicare-linked data. Med Care. 2002; 40( 8 suppl): IV-49-IV-54., , , , , .
- 26Effect of radiotherapy planning complexity on survival of elderly patients with unresected localized lung cancer [published online ahead of print October 5, 2010]. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010., , , , .
- 28Utility of the SEER-Medicare data to identify chemotherapy use. Med Care. 2002; 40( 8 suppl): IV-55-IV-61., , , et al.
- 33Regression analysis of multivariate incomplete failure time data by modeling marginal distributions. J Am Stat Assoc. 1989; 84: 1065-1073., , .
- 41Impact of postoperative radiation therapy on survival in patients with complete resection and stage I, II, or IIIA non-small-cell lung cancer treated with adjuvant chemotherapy: the adjuvant Navelbine International Trialist Association (ANITA) randomized trial. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008; 72: 695-701., , , , , .