Fax: (919) 843-9900
How does health literacy affect quality of life among men with newly diagnosed clinically localized prostate cancer?
Findings from the North Carolina-Louisiana Prostate Cancer Project (PCaP)
Version of Record online: 16 DEC 2011
Copyright © 2011 American Cancer Society
Volume 118, Issue 15, pages 3842–3851, 1 August 2012
How to Cite
Song, L., Mishel, M., Bensen, J. T., Chen, R. C., Knafl, G. J., Blackard, B., Farnan, L., Fontham, E., Su, L. J., Brennan, C. S., Mohler, J. L. and Godley, P. A. (2012), How does health literacy affect quality of life among men with newly diagnosed clinically localized prostate cancer?. Cancer, 118: 3842–3851. doi: 10.1002/cncr.26713
- Issue online: 20 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 16 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 OCT 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 15 SEP 2011
- Manuscript Received: 19 JUL 2011
- 2Cancer Facts and Figures 2010. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society; 2010.
- 5Mental health in men treated for early stage prostate carcinoma: a posttreatment, longitudinal quality of life analysis from the Cancer of the Prostate Strategic Urologic Research Endeavor. Cancer. 2002; 95: 54-60., , , , .
- 7Literacy and Health Outcomes. Evidence Report/Technology Assessment No. 87. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2004., , , et al.
- 8The Health Literacy of America's Adults: Results From the 2003 National Assessment of Adult Literacy (NCES 2006–483). Washington, DC: US Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics; 2006., , , .
- 9SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2008. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2011., , , et al.
- 16SF-12®: how to score the SF-12® physical and mental health summary scales. Lincoln, RI: Quality Metric; 1998., , .
- 18Comorbidity in older women with breast cancer: an epidemiologic approach. In: Yancik R, Yates J, eds. Cancer in the Elderly: Approaches to Early Detection and Treatment. New York, NY: Springer; 1989: 71-107., , .
- 19SAS 9.2 [computer program]. Version 9.2. Cary, NC: SAS Institute; 2008.
- 20Adult Literacy in America: A First Look at the Findings of the National Adult Literacy Survey. Washington, DC: US Department of Education Office of Educational Research and Improvement, 3rd Edition; 2002., , , .
- 21QuickFacts: U.S. Census 2010 Results. 2010. Available at: http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/index.html Accessed January 2, 2011.
- 37Health Literacy: Responding to the Need for Help. Washington, DC: Center for Medicare Education; 2001..