Telephone: 604-264-0249. Fax: (604) 822-1870
Syntheses of guideline recommendations and qualitative appraisals¶
Article first published online: 6 APR 2012
Copyright © 2012 American Cancer Society
Supplement: A Prospective Surveillance Model for Rehabilitation for Women With Breast Cancer
Volume 118, Issue Supplement 8, pages 2312–2324, 15 April 2012
How to Cite
Harris, S. R., Schmitz, K. H., Campbell, K. L. and McNeely, M. L. (2012), Clinical practice guidelines for breast cancer rehabilitation. Cancer, 118: 2312–2324. doi: 10.1002/cncr.27461
The articles in this supplement were commissioned based on presentations and deliberations at a Roundtable Meeting on a Prospective Model of Care for Breast Cancer Rehabilitation, held February 24-25, 2011, at the American Cancer Society National Home Office, in Atlanta, Georgia.
The opinions or views expressed in this supplement are those of the authors, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or recommendations of the editors or the American Cancer Society.
Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
A Prospective Surveillance Model for Rehabilitation for Women with Breast Cancer, Supplement to Cancer
- Issue published online: 6 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 6 APR 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 NOV 2011
- Manuscript Received: 19 OCT 2011
- 11Institute of Medicine. Clinical practice guidelines we can trust. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2011.
- 18AGREE Next Steps Consortium. The AGREE II Instrument [electronic version]. http://www.agreetrust.org. Accessed May 22, 2011.
- 19National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). Breast cancer (early & locally advanced): diagnosis and treatment. http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG80. Accessed May 4, 2011.
- 20National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). Advanced breast cancer: diagnosis and treatment. http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG81. Accessed May 5, 2011.
- 23Cancer. 2012; 118( suppl 8): 2191-2200.
- 24Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). Clinical practice guidelines. http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/cpgsix.htm. Accessed May 4, 2011.
- 25American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). Practice and guidelines: breast cancer. http://www.asco.org/ascov2/Practice++Guidelines/Guidelines/Clinical+Practice+Guidelines/Breast+Cancer. Accessed May 1, 2011.
- 26British Columbia Cancer Agency (BCCA). Practice Guidelines Websites. http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/PPI/RecommendedLinks/info tools/practice_guidelines.htm. Accessed May 3, 2011.
- 27Canadian Breast Cancer Network (CBCN). Breast cancer, pregnancy, and breastfeeding: SOGC clinical practice guidelines. Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada: Clinical practice guidelines no. III. February 2002. http://22.214.171.124/en/index. php?section=3&category=760®ionid=&page=11498. Accessed May 6, 2011.
- 28Cancer Care Nova Scotia. Cancer Management Guidelines. Breast. http://www.cancercare.ns.ca/en/home/healthprofessionals/resourcestools/cancermanagementguidelines/allapprovedguidelines/breast.aspx. Accessed May 7, 2001.
- 29http://www.cancercare.on.ca/common/pages/UserFile.aspx?fileId=14306. Accessed May 7, 2011., , , ; Supportive Care Guidelines Group. Cancer Care Ontario. The treatment of lymphedema related to breast cancer. Evidence summary report #13-1. Program in evidence-based care. Published August 22, 2003.
- 30Canadian Medical Association (CMA) Infobase. Clinical practice guidelines: breast cancer. http://mdm.ca/cpgsnew/cpgs/search/english/help/ht_breastcpg.htm. Accessed May 7, 2011.
- 31Canadian Medical Association Journal (CMAJ). Clinical practice guidelines for the care and treatment of breast cancer. http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/158/3/DC1. Accessed May 7, 2011.
- 32European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO). ESMO clinical practice guidelines. May 2010: vol. 21, supplement no. 5. http://www.esmo.org/research/esmo-clinical-practice-guidelines.html#c3338. Accessed May 5, 2011.
- 33National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN). NCCN clinical practice guidelines in oncology. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed May 7, 2011.
- 34Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. National Guideline Clearing House. Breast cancer. http://www.guideline.gov/search/search.aspx?term=breast+cancer. Accessed May 7, 2011.
- 35Australian National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC). Clinical practice guidelines for the management of early breast cancer. Edition 2. Reference no. CP74. http://www.nhmrc. gov.au/guidelines/publications/cp74. Accessed May 3, 2011.
- 36UK National Health Service (NHS). NHS Evidence–cancer. Breast cancer: treatment and disease management: UK and international guidelines. http://www.library.nhs.uk/Cancer/ViewResource.aspx?res ID=155141&tabID=288&catID=8144. Accessed May 6, 2011.
- 37Public Health Agency of Canada. Disease prevention and control guidelines: Cancer. http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/dpg-eng.php#cancer. Accessed May 7, 2011.
- 38Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN). Guidelines by topic: cancer. http://www.sign.ac.uk/guidelines/published/index. html#Cancer. Accessed May 6, 2011.
- 39New Zealand Guidelines Group. Management of early breast cancer. http://www.nzgg.org.nz/index.cfm. Accessed May 27, 2011.
- 40Cancer View Canada. Cancer Guidelines Resource Centre. SAGE (Standards and Guidelines Excellence). http://www.cancerview.ca/portal/server.pt/community/sage/521. Accessed May 30, 2011.
- 43Upper extremity rehabilitation after axillary dissection for the treatment of breast cancer: clinical practice guidelines. Crit Rev Phys Med Rehab. 2001; 13: 91-103., , , et al.
- 44BC Cancer Agency. Cancer management guidelines–breast. 8. Upper extremity rehab after axillary dissection. http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/HPI/CancerManagementGuidelines/Breast/Physiotherapy/default.htm. Accessed on May 29, 2011.
- 46National Breast and Ovarian Cancer Centre. Review of research evidence on secondary lymphoedema: Incidence, prevention, risk factors and treatment. NBOCC: Surry Hills, Australia; 2008.
- 49http://www.cmaj.ca/content/suppl/2003/06/03/165.9.1218.DC1/update10-technical-final.pdf. Accessed May 10, 2011., , , ; Steering Committee on Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Care and Treatment of Breast Cancer. Clinical practice guidelines for the care and treatment of breast cancer: 10. The management of chronic pain in patients with breast cancer (2001 update). Published October 9, 2001.
- 50Clinical practice guidelines for the care and treatment of breast cancer (summary of the 2001 update). CMAJ. 2001; 167: 14-15., , , .
- 52National Health Service Quality Improvement Scotland. Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN). Guideline 106. Control of pain in adults with cancer: a national clinical guideline. Published November 2008. http://www.sign.ac.uk/guidelines/fulltext/106/index.html. Accessed May 6, 2011.
- 53ESMO Guidelines Working Group. Management of cancer pain: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines. Ann Oncol. 2010; 21( suppl 5): v267-v260., ;
- 54Cancer-related Pain Management Working Panel. Cancer-related pain management: a report of evidence-based recommendations to guide practice. Evidence-Based Series #16-2: Section 1: Recommendations. Published March 17, 2008. Program in Evidence-Based Care. Cancer Care Ontario. www.cancercare.on.ca/pdf/pebc16-2s.pdf. Accessed January 30, 2012.
- 57ONS PEP resource: fatigue. In: Eaton LH, Tipton JM, editors. Putting Evidence into Practice: Improving Oncology Patient Outcomes. Pittsburgh, PA: Oncology Nursing Society, 2009: 149-174. http://www.ons.org/Research/PEP/Fatigue. Accessed August 18, 2011., .
- 59NCCN task force report: management of neuropathy in cancer. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2009; 7( suppl 5): S1-S26., , , et al.
- 62NCCN Task Force Report: bone health in cancer care. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2009; 7( suppl 3): S1-S32., , , et al.
- 64Steering Committee on Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Care and Treatment of Breast Cancer. Clinical practice guidelines for the care and treatment of breast cancer: follow-up after treatment for breast cancer (summary of the 2005 update). CMAJ. 2005; 172: 1319-1320., , ;
- 662006 Nutrition Physical Activity and Cancer Survivorship Advisory Committee, . Nutrition and physical activity during and after cancer treatment: an American Cancer Society guide for informed choices. CA Cancer J Clin. 2006; 56: 323-353., , , et al;
- 72Exercise interventions for upper-limb dysfunction due to breast cancer treatment. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010;( 6): CD005211., , , et al.