Fax: (919) 966-6961
Past, present, and future potential
Article first published online: 19 APR 2012
Copyright © 2012 American Cancer Society
Volume 118, Issue 21, pages 5186–5197, 1 November 2012
How to Cite
Meyer, A.-M., Carpenter, W. R., Abernethy, A. P., Stürmer, T. and Kosorok, M. R. (2012), Data for cancer comparative effectiveness research. Cancer, 118: 5186–5197. doi: 10.1002/cncr.27552
The authors comprise the Data Committee of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality's Cancer Developing Evidence to Inform Decisions about Effectiveness (DEcIDE) Comparative Effectiveness Research Consortium: http://www.effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/index.cfm/who-is-involved-in-the-effective-health-care-program1/about-the-decide-network/.
The views expressed in this article are those of the authors, and no official endorsement by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality or the US. Department of Health and Human Services is intended or should be inferred.
- Issue published online: 19 OCT 2012
- Article first published online: 19 APR 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 FEB 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 20 JAN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 27 SEP 2011
- 3Congressional Budget Office (CBO). Research on the Comparative Effectiveness of Medical Treatments: Issues and Options for an Expanded Federal Role. Publication no. 2975. Washington, DC: Congressional Budget Office; 2007.
- 6Institute of Medicine. Initial National Priorities for Comparative Effectiveness Research. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2009.
- 9AHRQ. About the DEcIDE Network. Effective Health Care Program 2011; http://www.effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/index.cfm/who-is-involved-in-the-effective-health-care-program1/about-the-decide-network/. Accessed March 17, 2012.
- 10Evaluating the Healthcare System: Effectiveness, Efficiency, and Equity. 3rd ed. Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press; 2004., , , .
- 11Measuring Health. 3rd ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 2006..
- 12Outcomes Assessment in Cancer: Measures, Methods, and Applications. Cambridge, MA: Cambridge University Press; 2005., , .
- 13National Cancer Policy Board of the Institute of Medicine. Ensuring Quality Cancer Care. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 1999.
- 14National Cancer Policy Board of the Institute of Medicine. Assessing the Quality of Cancer Care: An Approach to Measurement in Georgia. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2005.
- 15National Cancer Policy Board of the Institute of Medicine. Enhancing Data Systems to Improve the Quality of Cancer Care. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2000.
- 30PatientsLikeMe. Available at: http://www.patientslikeme.com/. Accessed November 11, 2010.
- 49Overview of the SEER-Medicare data: content, research applications, and generalizability to the United States elderly population. Med Care. 2002; 40( 8 suppl): IV-3-IV-18., , , , .
- 53A First Look at the Volume and Cost of Comparative Effectiveness Research in the United States. Washington, DC: Academy Health; 2009., .
- 57Office for Oregon Health Policy and Research. Policy Brief: All-Payer, All-Claims Data Base. Available at: http://www.oregon.gov/OHPPR/HFB/docs/2009_Legislature_Presentations/Policy_Briefs/Policy Brief_AllPayerAllClaimsDatabase_4.30.09.pdf?ga=t. Accessed on July 29, 2010.
- 58US Department of Health and Human Services: Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology. Nationwide Privacy and Security Framework for Electronic Exchange of Individually Identifiable Health Information, December 15, 2008. Available at: http://bit.ly/2DVP5p. Accessed on July 29, 2010.
- 59Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). OECD Guidelines on the Protection of Privacy and Transborder Flows of Personal Data. Available at: http://www.oecd.org/document/18/0,3343,en_2649_34255_1815186_1_1_1_1,00.html. Accessed June 6, 2010.
- 60US Department of Health and Human Services. Health Information Technology. Meaningful Use. Available at: http://healthit.hhs.gov/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=1325&parentname =Community Page&parentid=1&mode=2. Accessed April 16, 2010.
- 61North Carolina Healthcare Information and Communication Alliance. North Carolina Health Information Exchange Council (NC HIE Council) Web site. Available at: http://www.nchica.org/GetInvolved/NCHIE/intro.htm. Accessed June 2, 2010.
- 62US Department of Health and Human Services: Medicare.com. What Is a Medicare Quality Improvement Organization (QIO)? Available at: https://questions.medicare.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1943/related/1. Accessed May 28, 2010.
- 63The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference. Boston, MA: Little, Brown & Company; 2000..
- 65Outcome Sciences. Registry of Patient Registries (RoPR). Available at: http://www.outcome.com/ropr.htm. Accessed January 27, 2011.
- 66US Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). Registry of Patient Registries. Available at: http://www.ahrq.gov/fund/ recoveryawards/osawinfra.htm. Accessed February 6, 2011.