Fax: (805) 715-8106
Article first published online: 30 MAY 2012
Copyright © 2012 American Cancer Society
Volume 118, Issue 24, pages 6079–6088, 15 December 2012
How to Cite
Griffiths, R. I., Gleeson, M. L., Mikhael, J., Dreyling, M. H. and Danese, M. D. (2012), Comparative effectiveness and cost of adding rituximab to first-line chemotherapy for elderly patients diagnosed with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Cancer, 118: 6079–6088. doi: 10.1002/cncr.27638
For this study, the linked Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER)-Medicare database was used. The interpretation and reporting of these data are the sole responsibility of the authors. The authors acknowledge the efforts of the Applied Research Program of the National Institute; the Office of Research, Development, and Information at the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services; Information Management Services, Inc.; and the SEER Program tumor registries in the creation of the SEER-Medicare database.
Editorial assistance on this article was provided by Kim Merjan and Suzanne Griffiths.
- Issue published online: 3 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 30 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 APR 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 21 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 8 FEB 2012
- 1National Cancer Institute; Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program. SEER*Stat Database: Incidence—SEER 17 Registries Research Data + Hurricane Katrina-Impacted Louisiana Cases: November 2010 Submission (2000-2008), Linked to County Attributes, Total US, 1969-2009 Counties. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program, Cancer Statistics Branch; released April 2011 [based on the November 2010 submission]. Available at: http://www.seer.cancer.gov. Accessed October 5, 2011 using SEER*Stat software.
- 2Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program. SEER*Stat Database: Incidence-SEER 9 Registries Research Data, November 2010 Submission (1973-2008): Katrina/Rita Population Adjustment-Linked to County Attributes, Total US, 1969-2009 Counties. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program, Cancer Statistics Branch; released April 2011 [based on the November 2010 submission]. Available at: http://www.seer.cancer.gov. Accessed October 5, 2011 using SEER*Stat software.
- 3National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN). NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas. Version 1.2010. Fort Washington, PA: NCCN; 2010.
- 6CHOP-like chemotherapy plus rituximab versus CHOP-like chemotherapy alone in young patients with good-prognosis diffuse large-B-cell lymphoma: a randomized controlled trial by the MabThera International Trial (MInT) Group. Lancet Oncol. 2006; 7: 379-391., , , et al.
- 9Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (MedPAC). A Data Book: Health Care Spending and the Medicare Program (June 2011). Reston, VA: MedPAC; 2011. Available at: http://www.medpac.gov/chapters/Jun11DataBookSec10.pdf. Accessed October 20, 2011.
- 10Long-term direct medical costs in patients diagnosed with follicular lymphoma who receive frontline chemotherapy with versus without rituximab—a SEER-Medicare analysis. Paper presented at: International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR) 16th Annual Meeting; Baltimore, MD; May 21-25, 2011., , , .
- 11Cost utility in the United States of rituximab plus cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone for the treatment of elderly patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Cancer. 2005; 103: 1644-1651., .
- 15Cost-effectiveness of the addition of rituximab to CHOP chemotherapy in first-line treatment for diffuse large B-cell lymphoma in a population-based observational cohort in British Columbia, Canada. Value Health. 2010; 13: 703-711., , , , , .
- 16Overview of the SEER-Medicare data: content, research applications, and generalizability to the United States elderly population. Med Care. 2002; 40( 8 suppl)): IV-3-IV-18., , , , .
- 17National Cancer Institute. Overview of the SEER Program. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2011. Available at: http://seer.cancer.gov/about/overview.html. Accessed September 29, 2011.
- 18National Cancer Institute. Overview of the SEER Program. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2011. Available at: http://healthservices.cancer.gov/seermedicare/overview/linked.html. Accessed September 29, 2011.
- 19North American Association of Central Cancer Registries. Guidelines for ICD-O-3 implementation. November 27, 2000. Available at: http://www.naacr.org. Accessed February 24, 2011.
- 20[No authors listed] A predictive model for aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. The International Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Prognostic Factors Project. N Engl J Med. 1993; 329: 987-994.
- 26Utility of the SEER-Medicare data to identify chemotherapy use. Med Care. 2002; 40( 8 suppl): IV-55-IV-61., , , et al.
- 27National Cancer Institute. Procedure Codes for SEER Medicare Analysis. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2010. Available at: http://healthservices.cancer.gov/seermedicare/considerations/procedure_codes.html. Accessed December 7, 2010.
- 33An Introduction to the Bootstrap. Chapman & Hall Monographs on Statistics and Applied Probability. Boca Raton, FL: Chapman & Hall/CRC Press; 1994., .