Fax: (212) 849-2566
Cost analysis of a patient navigation system to increase screening colonoscopy adherence among urban minorities
Article first published online: 25 JUL 2012
Copyright © 2012 American Cancer Society
Volume 119, Issue 3, pages 612–620, 1 February 2013
How to Cite
Jandorf, L., Stossel, L. M., Cooperman, J. L., Graff Zivin, J., Ladabaum, U., Hall, D., Thélémaque, L. D., Redd, W. and Itzkowitz, S. H. (2013), Cost analysis of a patient navigation system to increase screening colonoscopy adherence among urban minorities. Cancer, 119: 612–620. doi: 10.1002/cncr.27759
- Issue published online: 22 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 25 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 8 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 29 DEC 2011
- 1Screening and surveillance for the early detection of colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps, 2008: a joint guideline from the American Cancer Society, the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer, and the American College of Radiology. Gastroenterology. 2008; 134: 1570-1595., , , et al.
- 3How much can current interventions reduce colorectal cancer mortality in the United States? Mortality projections for scenarios of risk-factor modification, screening, and treatment. Cancer. 2006; 107: 1624-1633., , , et al.
- 6American College of Gastroenterology. Your golden years deserve the gold standard of colon cancer screening. Available at: http://www.acg.gi.org/patients/ccrk/crcad2.pdf. Accessed December 27, 2011.
- 7The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and New York Citywide Colon Cancer Control Coalition. A practical guide to increasing screening colonoscopy: proven methods for health care facilities to prevent colorectal cancer deaths. New York: Cancer Prevention and Control Program, Bureau of Chronic Disease Prevention and Control; 2006. Available at: http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/cancer/cancer-colonoscopy-guide.pdf. Accessed December 19, 2011.
- 9Maximizing the value of colonoscopy in community practice. Gastrointest Endosc Clin North Am. 2010; 20: 771-781..
- 12American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts & Figures 2011. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society; 2011. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/Research/CancerFactsFigures/CancerFactsFigures/cancer-facts- figures-2011. Accessed October 17, 2011.
- 14American Cancer Society. Colorectal Cancer Facts & Figures 2011–2013. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society; 2011. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/Research/CancerFactsFigures/ColorectalCancerFactsFigures/colorectal-cancer-facts-figures-2011–2013-page. Accessed October 17, 2011.
- 15SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975–2005. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2008. Available at: http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2005. Accessed October 17, 2011., , , et al. eds.
- 16Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Colorectal cancer rates by race and ethnicity, 2010. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/colorectal/statistics/race.htm. Accessed December 19, 2011.
- 22Sociodemographic correlates of stage of adoption for colorectal cancer screening in African Americans. Ethn Dis. 2008; 19: 323-329., , , et al.
- 23Barriers and facilitators for colorectal cancer screening practices in the Latino community: perspectives from community leaders. Cancer Control. 2008; 15: 157-165., , , , , .
- 38A culturally targeted intervention to promote breast cancer screening among low-income women in East Baltimore, Maryland Cancer Control. 2005; 12(suppl 2): 34-41., , , et al.
- 49Take Care New York 2012: a policy for a healthier New York City. New York: New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene; 2009. Available at: http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/tcny/tcny-2012.pdf. Accessed December 19, 2011., , , , .
- 50New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Community health survey 2010: colon cancer (timely colonoscopy). Available at: https://a816-healthpsi.nyc.gov/SASStoredProcess/guest?_PROGRAM=%2FEpiQuery%2FCHS%2Fchs2&year=2010&strat1= none&strat2=none&qtype=univar&var=cotest2&crude=no. Accessed April 17, 2012.