This study used the linked Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER)-Medicare database. This resource has been made available to the research community through collaborative efforts of the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). We acknowledge the efforts of the NCI Applied Research Program, the CMS Office of Research, Development, and Information, Information Management Services, and the SEER Program tumor registries in the creation of the SEER-Medicare database.
Comparative effectiveness of three platinum-doublet chemotherapy regimens in elderly patients with advanced non–small cell lung cancer
Version of Record online: 5 APR 2013
Copyright © 2013 American Cancer Society
Volume 119, Issue 11, pages 2048–2060, 1 June 2013
How to Cite
Zhu, J., Sharma, D. B., Chen, A. B., Johnson, B. E., Weeks, J. C. and Schrag, D. (2013), Comparative effectiveness of three platinum-doublet chemotherapy regimens in elderly patients with advanced non–small cell lung cancer. Cancer, 119: 2048–2060. doi: 10.1002/cncr.28022
- Issue online: 20 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 5 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 13 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 5 DEC 2012
- 2NSCLC Meta-Analyses Collaborative Group. Chemotherapy in addition to supportive care improves survival in advanced non–small cell lung cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of individual patient data from 16 randomized controlled trials. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26:4617-4625.
- 23A retrospective analysis of outcomes across histological subgroups in a 3-arm phase III trial of gemcitabine in combination with carboplatin or paclitaxel versus paclitaxel plus carboplatin for advanced non–small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 2010;70:340-346., , , et al.
- 25National Cancer Institute. Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results. Available at: http://seer.cancer.gov. Accessed July 1, 2012.
- 27National Cancer Institute. SEER-Medicare: Medicare Claims Files. Available at: http://healthservices.cancer.gov/seermedicare/medicare/claims.html. Accessed July 1, 2012.
- 28American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC). AJCC Cancer Staging Handbook. 6th ed. New York: Springer; 2002., , , ;
- 32Fritz AG, Percy C, Jack A, et al., eds. International Classification of Diseases for Oncology (ICD-O). 3rd ed. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2000.
- 47Randomized, phase III study of weekly paclitaxel in combination with carboplatin versus standard every-3-weeks administration of carboplatin and paclitaxel for patients with previously untreated advanced non–small cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26:468-473., , , et al.
- 50A phase III trial of docetaxel/carboplatin versus mitomycin C/ifosfamide/cisplatin (MIC) or mitomycin C/vinblastine/cisplatin (MVP) in patients with advanced non–small cell lung cancer: a randomised multicentre trial of the British Thoracic Oncology Group (BTOG1). Ann Oncol. 2006;17:1111-1119., , , et al.
- 51Does type of tumor histology impact survival among patients with stage IIIB/IV non–small cell lung cancer treated with first-line doublet chemotherapy [serial online]? Chemother Res Pract 2010: 524629, 2010., , , et al.
- 54Howlader N, Noone AM, Krapcho M, et al., eds. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2009 (Vintage 2009 Populations) [based on November 2011 SEER data submission, posted to the SEER web site, April 2012]. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2012. Available at: http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2009_pops09/. Accessed July 1, 2012.