We acknowledge Dr. Michelle Kegler, Michelle Carvalho, Dr. James Hotz, Dr. Iris Smith, Dr. George Fredrick, Charles Greene, Aisha Viquez, Shavonda Thomas, Dr. Teri Stapleton, Wesley Garland, Jingqui Yang, Yao Shi, and Diane Fletcher for their input and assistance. We extend a sincere thank you to the health center directors and staff who supported this evaluation; without them, this study would not have been possible.
Evaluation of a patient navigation program to promote colorectal cancer screening in rural Georgia, USA
Version of Record online: 29 MAY 2013
Copyright © 2013 American Cancer Society
Volume 119, Issue 16, pages 3059–3066, 15 August 2013
How to Cite
Honeycutt, S., Green, R., Ballard, D., Hermstad, A., Brueder, A., Haardörfer, R., Yam, J. and Arriola, K. J. (2013), Evaluation of a patient navigation program to promote colorectal cancer screening in rural Georgia, USA. Cancer, 119: 3059–3066. doi: 10.1002/cncr.28033
- Issue online: 2 AUG 2013
- Version of Record online: 29 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 19 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 23 OCT 2012
- 1American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts & Figures 2011. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society; 2011.
- 2US Preventive Services Task Force. The Guide to Clinical Preventive Services: Recommendations of the US Preventive Services Task Force. AHRQ Publication 10-05145. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2010.
- 3American Cancer Society. Colorectal Cancer Early Detection. http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003170-pdf.pdf. Accessed October 16, 2012. Last revised January 24, 2013.
- 5National Comprehensive Cancer Network. NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Colorectal Cancer Screening. 2012; version 2.2012. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp#detection. Accessed October 16, 2012.
- 6Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Cancer screening - United States, 2010. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012;61:41-45.
- 10Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Colorectal cancer screening - United States, 2002, 2004, 2006, and 2008. MMWR Surv Summ. 2011;60(suppl):42-46., , , , ;
- 17Factors influencing colorectal cancer screening participation. Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2012;2012:483417..
- 23Smedley BD, Stith AY, Nelson AR, eds. Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2003.
- 24Georgia Division of Public Health. OASIS-Online Analytical Statistical Information System. Page version 3.0. http://oasis.state.ga.us/. Accessed May 12, 2011.
- 25National Cancer Institute. State Cancer Profiles. Incidence Rates Report. 2011; http://statecancerprofiles.cancer.gov/incidencerates/. Accessed August 13, 2012.
- 26US Department of Health and Human Services. Shortage Designation: Health Professional Shortage Areas & Medically Underserved Areas/Populations. Health Resources and Service Administration Web site. http://www.hrsa.gov/shortage/. Accessed September 12, 2012.
- 27US Census Bureau. State & County QuickFacts. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/index.html. Accessed September 9, 2012.
- 34Epidemiology. Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders Company; 1996..
- 40Hierarchical Linear Models: Applications and Data Analysis Methods. 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage; 2002., .
- 41Multilevel Modeling. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage; 2004..
- 42Applied Longitudinal Data Analysis: Modeling Change and Event Occurrences. New York, NY: Oxford University; 2003., .
- 43HLM 7: Linear and Nonlinear Modeling. Lincolnwood, IL: Scientific Software international, Inc.; 2011., , , , .
- 44Kaiser Family Foundation. Poverty Rate by Race/Ethnicity, states (2010-2011), U.S. (2011). http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparebar.jsp?ind=14&cat=1. Accessed October 16, 2012.
- 45National Cancer Institute. Patient Navigation Research Program (PNRP), Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities Web site. http://crchd.cancer.gov/pnp/pnrp-index.html. Accessed August 27, 2012.