The articles in this supplement were commissioned based on participation in evaluating the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention–funded Colorectal Cancer Screening Demonstration Program.
Recruiting patients into the CDC's Colorectal Cancer Screening Demonstration Program
Strategies and challenges across 5 sites
Article first published online: 18 JUL 2013
© 2013 American Cancer Society
Special Issue: Comprehensive Evaluation of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Colorectal Cancer Screening Demonstration Program, Supplement to Cancer
Volume 119, Issue Supplement S15, pages 2914–2925, 1 August 2013
How to Cite
Boehm, J. E., Rohan, E. A., Preissle, J., DeGroff, A. and Glover-Kudon, R. (2013), Recruiting patients into the CDC's Colorectal Cancer Screening Demonstration Program. Cancer, 119: 2914–2925. doi: 10.1002/cncr.28161
The opinions or views expressed in this supplement are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or recommendations of the journal editors, the American Cancer Society, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Participants in the case study evaluation provided verbal, informed consent for participation in interviews.
- Issue published online: 18 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 18 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 5 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 11 JUL 2012
- 1U.S. Cancer Statistics Working Group. United States Cancer Statistics: 1999–2007 Incidence and Mortality Web-based Report. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Cancer Institute; 2010. http://www.cdc.gov/uscs.
- 2Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Vital signs: colorectal cancer screening, incidence, and mortality—United States, 2002–2010. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011;60:884–889. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6026a4.htm?s_cid=mm6026a4_w. Accessed December 13, 2011.
- 4Colorectal cancer screening - United States, 2002, 2004, 2006, and 2008. MMWR Surveill Summ. 2011;60(Suppl):42–46., , , , .
- 6Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Enhancing the Use and Quality of Colorectal Cancer Screening. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; 2010.
- 9SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975–2008. National Cancer Institute. 2011., , , et al.
- 10Development of a federally funded demonstration colorectal cancer screening program. Prev Chronic Dis. 2008;5:A64., , , et al.
- 11Centers for Disease Control and Prevention DoCPaC. National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program (Breast and Cervical Program). 2011. http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/nbccedp. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- 12U. S. Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for colorectal cancer: clinical summary of U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation. 2008. http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf08/colocancer/colosum.htm. Accessed February 24, 2011.
- 13Clinical outcomes from the CDC's Colorectal Cancer Screening Demonstration Program. Cancer. 2013;119(suppl 15):2820-2833., , , et al.
- 14Start-up of the colorectal cancer screening demonstration program. Prev Chronic Dis. 2008;5:A38., , , , , .
- 15Multiple Case Study Analysis. New York: The Guilford Press; 2006..
- 16Costs of planning and implementing the CDC's Colorectal Cancer Screening Demonstration Program. Cancer. 2013;119(suppl 15):2855-2862., , , et al.
- 22Reliability is consistency of judgment. In: Transforming Qualitative Information: Thematic Analysis and Code Development. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage; 1998:144–159..
- 25A patient-tailored navigator program for colorectal cancer screening in a community health center: a randomized controlled trial. J Gen Intern Med. 2008;23:237–238., , , et al.
- 26Codebook development for team-based qualitative analysis. Cult Anthropol Method. 1998;10:31–36., , , .
- 32Community Preventive Services Task Force. What is the Community Guide? 2011. http://www.thecommunityguide.org/index.html. Accessed October 2011.
- 33Case Study Research: Designs and Methods. 4th ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage; 2009..
- 34Qualitative Research and Evaluation Methods. 3rd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage; 2002..
- 35The discovery of grounded theory: Strategies for qualitative research. New York: Aldine de Gruyter.; 1967, .
- 36ATLAS.ti [computer program]. Berlin, Germany: Atlas.ti Scientific Software Development GmbH; 2010.
- 40Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Screen for Life: National Colorectal Cancer Action Campaign. Colorectal (Colon) Cancer. 2011. http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/colorectal/sfl/. Accessed May 2011.
- 46Colorectal cancer screening use among insured primary care patients. Am J Manag Care. 2011;17:480–488., , , et al.
- 54Improving public health system performance through multiorganizational partnerships. Prev Chronic Dis. 2010;7:A116., .
- 57Interventions to increase recommendation and delivery of screening for breast, cervical, and colorectal cancers by healthcare providers systematic reviews of provider assessment and feedback and provider incentives. Am J Prev Med. 2008;35(1 Suppl):S67–S74., , , et al.