The articles in this supplement were commissioned based on participation in evaluating the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention-funded Colorectal Cancer Screening Demonstration Program.
Implementing the CDC's Colorectal Cancer Screening Demonstration Program: Wisdom from the field
Article first published online: 18 JUL 2013
© 2013 American Cancer Society
Special Issue: Comprehensive Evaluation of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Colorectal Cancer Screening Demonstration Program, Supplement to Cancer
Volume 119, Issue Supplement S15, pages 2870–2883, 1 August 2013
How to Cite
Rohan, E. A., Boehm, J. E., DeGroff, A., Glover-Kudon, R. and Preissle, J. (2013), Implementing the CDC's Colorectal Cancer Screening Demonstration Program: Wisdom from the field. Cancer, 119: 2870–2883. doi: 10.1002/cncr.28162
The opinions or views expressed in this supplement are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or recommendations of the journal editors, the American Cancer Society, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Issue published online: 18 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 18 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 24 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 11 JUL 2012
- 1US Cancer Statistics Working Group. United States Cancer Statistics: 1999–2007 Incidence and Mortality Web-based Report. Atlanta, GA: US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Cancer Institute; 2010. Available at www.cdc.gov/uscs. [Accessed January 30, 2013.]
- 4Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Vital signs: colorectal cancer screening among adults aged 50–75 years. MMRW Morbid Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010;59:1–5.
- 7Development of a federally funded demonstration colorectal cancer screening program [serial online]. Prev Chronic Dis. 2008;5:A64., , , et al.
- 8US Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for Colorectal Cancer: Clinical Summary of US Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation 2008. Available at: http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf08/colocancer/colosum.htm. Accessed February 24, 2011.
- 9Facilitators and challenges to start-up of the colorectal cancer screening demonstration program [serial online]. Prev Chronic Dis. 2008;5:A39., , , , .
- 10Start-up of the colorectal cancer screening demonstration program [serial online]. Prev Chronic Dis. 2008;5:A38., , , , , .
- 11Cost of starting colorectal cancer screening programs: results from 5 federally funded demonstration programs [serial online]. Prev Chronic Dis. 2008;5:A47., , , et al.
- 14Case Study Research: Designs and Methods. 4th ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE; 2009..
- 15Riessman C, ed. Qualitative Studies in Social Work Research. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE; 1994.
- 16Multiple Case Study Analysis. New York: The Guilford Press; 2006..
- 17Padgett DK, ed. The Qualitative Research Experience. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth/Thomson Learning; 2004.
- 18Guest G, McQueen KM, eds. Handbook for Team-Based Qualitative Research. Lanham, MD: Altamira Press; 2008.
- 19Qualitative Research and Evaluation Methods. 3rd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE; 2002..
- 20Ethnography and Qualitative Design in Educational Research. 2nd ed. San Diego, CA: Academic Press; 1993., .
- 21Participant Observation: A Guide for Fieldworkers. Walnut Creek, CA: Altamira Press; 2002., .
- 22Participant observation and fieldnotes. In: Atkinson P, Coffey A, Delamont S, Lofland J, Sofland L, eds. Handbook of Ethnography. London: SAGE; 2001:352–368., , .
- 24Abductive strategies in educational research. Am J Semiotics. 1987;5:275–290..
- 25ATLAS.ti [computer program]. Berlin, Germany: Atlas.ti Scientific Software Development GmbH; 2010.
- 26Using Software in Qualitative Research: A Step-by-Step Guide. Los Angeles, CA: SAGE; 2007., .
- 27Handling Qualitative Data: A Practical Guide. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE; 2005..
- 28Qualitative Data Analysis: An Expanded Sourcebook. 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE; 1994., .
- 29Reliability in coding open-ended data: lessons learned from HIV behavioral research. Field Methods. 2010;16:307–330., , , , , .
- 30Reliability is consistency of judgment. In: Boyatzis RE, ed. Transforming Qualitative Information: Thematic Analysis and Code Development. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE; 1998:144–159..
- 31Codebook development for team-based qualitative analysis. Cultural Anthropol Methods. 1998;10:31–36., , , .
- 32Mapping the process: an exemplar of process and challenge in grounded theory analysis. Educ Res. 2005;34:3–13., , .
- 33Validation in inquiry-guided research: the role of exemplars in narrative studies. Harvard Educ Rev. 1990;60:415–442..
- 34Naturalistic Inquiry. Beverly Hills, CA: SAGE; 1985., .
- 35Denzin NK, Lincoln YS, eds. The Sage Handbook of Qualitative Research. 3rd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE; 2005.
- 36Constructing Grounded Theory: A Practical Guide through Qualitative Analysis. London, United Kingdom: SAGE; 2006..
- 37Approaches to reflexivity in qualitative research. Nurs Res. 2006;13:7–21..
- 40Laboring at the Edge: Effects of Repeated Exposure to Death and Dying on Oncology Doctors, Nurses, and Social Workers. Saarbrucken, Germany: VDM, Verlag Dr. Muller; 2009..
- 42Stearns N, Lauria M, Hermann J, Fogelberg P, eds. Professional Issues in Oncology Social Work. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society; 2003.
- 51Colorectal cancer screening among ethnically diverse, low-income patients. Arch Intern Med. 2011;171:906–912., , , , , .
- 57Resident physicians' perceptions of barriers and facilitators to colorectal cancer screening for African Americans. J Natl Med Assoc. 2010;102:303–311., , , , , .
- 60A patient-tailored navigator program for colorectal cancer screening in a community health center: a randomized controlled trial. J Gen Intern Med. 2008;23:237–238., , , et al.
- 67Recommendations for integration of chronic disease programs: are your programs linked [serial online]? Prev Chronic Dis. 2007;4:A34., , , et al.
- 68Poop Culture. Los Angeles, CA: Feral House; 2007..