Presented at the National Conference on Breast Cancer, Boston, Massachusetts, August 26–28, 1993.
Changing trends: An overview of breast cancer incidence and mortality†
Version of Record online: 18 NOV 2009
Copyright © 1994 American Cancer Society
Supplement: An Interdisciplinary International Journal of the American Cancer Society
Volume 74, Issue Supplement S1, pages 222–227, January 1994
How to Cite
Garfinkel, L., Boring, C. C. and Heath, C. W. (1994), Changing trends: An overview of breast cancer incidence and mortality. Cancer, 74: 222–227. doi: 10.1002/cncr.2820741304
- Issue online: 18 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 18 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 JAN 1994
- 1Cancer statistics 1994. CA Cancer J Clin 1994; 44: 7–26., , ,
- 2MillerBA, RiesLAG, HankeyBF, KosaryCL, HarrasA, DevesaSS, EdwardsBK, editors. Cancer Statistics Review: 1973–1990. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute, 1993. Report No. NIH 93–2789.
- 3Recent incidence trends for breast cancer in women and the relevance of early detection: an update. CA Cancer J Clin 1993; 43: 27–41., ,
- 4National Center for Health Statistics. Monthly Vital Stat Rep 1993; 41 (8): 6.
- 5Breast cancer risk factors and screening: United States 1987. National Center for Health Statistics. Vital Health Stat 1989; 10 (172): 1–60.,
- 6Oral contraceptives and premenopausal breast cancer in nulliparous women. Contraception 1988; 38: 287–99., , ,
- 7Breast cancer before age 45 and oral contraceptive use: new findings. Am J Epidemiol 1989; 129: 269–80., , , , ,
- 8Early contraceptive use and breast cancer: results of another case-control study. Br J Cancer 1987; 56: 653–60., , , et al.
- 9Mammography attitudes and usage study, 1992. Womens Health Issues 1992; 2: 180–6., ,
- 10Evaluation of the increase in breast cancer incidence in relation to mammography use. J Natl Cancer Inst 1990; 82: 1546–52., ,
- 11The lifetime risk of developing breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 1993; 85: 892–7., , , , ,
- 12Projections of the breast cancer burden to US women: 1990–2000. Prev Med 1991; 20: 170–82., ,
- 13Nulliparity, decade of first birth and breast cancer in Connecticut cohorts, 1855 to 1945: an ecological study. Am J Pub Health 1989; 79: 1503–7.,
- 14Projected changes in breast cancer incidence due to the trend toward delayed child-bearing. Am J Pub Health 1987; 77: 495–7.
- 15A different perspective on breast cancer risk factors: some implications of the non-attibutable risk. CA Cancer J Clin 1982; 32: 301–13., ,
- 16Impact of mammography screening on breast cancer diagnosis. J Natl Cancer Inst 1990; 82: 153–4.,
- 17Using mammography for cancer control: an unrealized potential. CA Cancer J Clin 1987; 37: 33–48.
- 18Cancer screening behaviors among U.S. women: breast cancer, 1987–1989, and cervical cancer, 1988–1989. MMWR 1991; 41 (SS-2): 17–34., , , ,
- 19Breast cancer among black and white women in the 1980s: changing patterns in the United States by race, age, and extent of disease. Cancer 1993; 72: 788–98., , , , , , et al.
- 20Implications of birth cohort pattern in interpreting trends in breast cancer rates. J Natl Cancer Inst 1992; 84: 1402–10.,
- 21The NCI Breast Cancer Screening Consortium. Screening mammography: a missed clinical opportunity. JAMA 1990; 264: 54–8.