Presented at the National Conference on Breast Cancer, Boston, Massachusetts, August 26–28, 1993.
Adjuvant systemic therapy for early breast cancer†
Version of Record online: 11 NOV 2009
Copyright © 1994 American Cancer Society
Supplement: An Interdisciplinary International Journal of the American Cancer Society
Volume 74, Issue Supplement S1, pages 401–409, January 1994
How to Cite
Henderson, C. I. (1994), Adjuvant systemic therapy for early breast cancer. Cancer, 74: 401–409. doi: 10.1002/cncr.2820741327
- Issue online: 11 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 11 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 JAN 1994
- 1Early Breast Cancer Trialists' Collaborative Group. Systemic treatment of early breast cancer by hormonal, cytotoxic, or immune therapy: 133 randomised trials involving 31,000 recurrences and 24,000 deaths among 75,000 women. Lancet 1992; 339: 1–15, 71–85.
- 2Early Breast Cancer Trialists Collaborative Group. The effects of adjuvant tamoxifen and of cytotoxic therapy on mortality in early breast cancer: an overview of 61 randomised trials among 28,896 women. N Engl J Med 1988; 319: 1681–92.
- 3Ludwig Breast Cancer Study Group. Combination adjuvant chemotherapy for node-positive breast cancer: inadequacy of a single perioperative cycle. N Engl J Med 1988; 319: 677–83.
- 4Short perioperative versus long-term adjuvant chemotherapy. In: MetzgerU, LargiaderF, SennH, editors. Recent results in cancer research. Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 1985: 91–8., , , ,
- 5Dose and dose intensity trial of adjuvant chemotherapy for stage II, node positive breast carcinoma: initial results of CALGB8541. N Engl J Med 1994; 1253–9., , , , , , et al.
- 6Ten-year results of the French Adjuvant Trial for node positive breast cancer comparing CMF to a combination of Adriamycin, vincristine, cyclophosphamide, and 5-fluorouracil. In: SalmonSE, editor. Adjuvant therapy of cancer VII. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1993: 175–80., , , , , , et al.
- 7Clinical equivalence despite dosage differences of two schedules of cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, 5-fluorouracil, vincristine, and prednisone (CMFVP) for adjuvant therapy of node-positive stage II breast cancer [abstract]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 1988; 7: 12., , , , , , et al.
- 8Cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, and fluorouracil with and without doxorubicin in the adjuvant treatment of resectable breast cancer with one to three positive axillary nodes. J Clin Oncol 1991; 9: 1124–30., , , ,
- 9Recent information from current NSABP trials of adjuvant therapy for breast cancer. In: SalmonSE, editor. Adjuvant Therapy of Cancer VII. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1993: 148–61., , ,
- 10Adjuvant therapy of stage II breast cancer. Cancer 1990; 65: 2148–54.
- 11Adjuvant chemotherapy for stage II breast cancer: CMF vs. alternating CMF-VA [abstract]. Am Soc Clin Oncol 1989; 8: 48., , , , , , et al.
- 12A randomized trial comparing 12 weeks with 36 weeks of adjuvant chemotherapy in stage II breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 1990; 8: 1217–25., , , , , , et al.
- 13Prospective randomized comparison of cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin (Adriamycin) and fluorouracil (CAF) vs. cyclophosphamide, methotrexate and fluorouracil (CMF) for breast cancer with positive axillary nodes: a Southeastern Cancer Study Group study [abstract]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 1991; 10: 45., , , , , , et al.
- 14Two months of doxorubicin-cyclophosphamide with and without interval reinduction therapy compared with 6 months of cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, and fluorouracil in positive-node breast cancer patients with tamoxifen-nonresponsive tumors: results from National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project B-15. J Clin Oncol 1990; 8: 1483–96., , , , , , et al.
- 15Increased benefit from addition of Adriamycin and cyclophosphamide (AC) to tamoxifen (Tarn, T) for positive-node, tam-responsive postmenopausal breast cancer patients: results from NSABP B-16 [abstract]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 1990; 9: 20., , , , , , et al.
- 16A randomized trial comparing adjuvant FEC with CMF in premenopausal patients with node positive resectable breast cancer [abstract]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 1991; 10: 41., , , , , , et al.
- 17The nature of benefit. In: Adjuvant therapy of breast cancer. Boston: Kluwer Academic, 1992: 57–68.
- 18Patient preferences for adjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer: report #8901. Sydney, Australia: NHMRC Clinical Trials Center, 1991,
- 19c-erb B-2 expression and S-Phase activity, predict response to adjuvant therapy in women with node positive early breast cancer: a comparison study of the Cancer and Acute Leukemia Group B (CALCB). N Engl J Med 1994; 330: 1260–6., , , , , , et al.
- 20HER-2/neu in node-negative breast cancer: prognostic significance of overexpression influenced by the presence of in situ carcinoma. J Clin Oncol 1992; 10: 599–605., , , , , , et al.
- 21Prognostic importance of c-erb B-2 expression in breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 1992; 10: 1049–56., , , , , , et al.
- 22Dose intensification and increased total dose of adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer (BC): findings from NSABP B-22. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. In press., , , , , , et al.
- 23Node positive (N+) breast cancer: which patients (Pts) are at high risk [abstract]? Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 1991; 10: 59., , , , ,
- 24High-dose chemotherapy and autologous bone marrow support as consolidation after standard-dose adjuvant therapy for high-risk primary breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 1993; 11: 1132–43., , , , , , et al.
- 25National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Panel. Consensus statement: treatment of early-stage breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr 1992; 11: 1–5.
- 26Adjuvant systemic therapy of early breast cancer. In: HarrisJR, HellmanS, HendersonIC, et al. editors. Breast diseases. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1991: 427–86.