Presented at the National Conference on Breast Cancer, Boston, Massachusetts, August 26–28, 1993.
Selection criteria for breast conservation: The impact of young and old age and collagen vascular disease†
Version of Record online: 11 NOV 2009
Copyright © 1994 American Cancer Society
Supplement: An Interdisciplinary International Journal of the American Cancer Society
Volume 74, Issue Supplement S1, pages 430–435, January 1994
How to Cite
McCormick, B. (1994), Selection criteria for breast conservation: The impact of young and old age and collagen vascular disease. Cancer, 74: 430–435. doi: 10.1002/cncr.2820741331
- Issue online: 11 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 11 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 JAN 1994
- 1Consequences of breast irradiation in patients with pre-existing collage vascular diseases. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1989; 17: 829–33., , , ,
- 2Collagen vascular disease and irradiation [letter]. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1989; 17: 1123.
- 3Breast conservation therapy: severe breast fibrosis after radiation in patients with collagen vascular disease. Cancer 1991; 108: 502–8., , ,
- 4Breast disease. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1991: 530–2., , ,
- 5Significance of ipsilateral breast tumour recurrence after lumpectomy. Lancet 1991; 338: 327–31., , , , , , et al.
- 6Randomized clinical trial to assess the effectiveness of breast irradiation following lumpectomy and axillary dissection for node-negative breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 1992; 84: 683–9., , , , , , et al.
- 7The Uppsala-Örebro Breast Cancer Study Group. Sector resection with or without postoperative radiotherapy for stage I breast cancer: a randomized trial. Cancer 1990; 82: 277–82.
- 8Radiotherapy after breast-preserving surgery in women with localized cancer of the breast. N Engl J Med 1993; 328: 1587–91., , , , , , et al.
- 9Factors influencing local relapse and survival and results of salvage treatment after breast-conserving therapy in operable breast cancer: EORTC trial 10801, breast conservation compared with mastectomy in TNM stage I and II breast cancer. Eng J Cancer 1992; 28A: 801–5., , , , , , et al.
- 10Mastectomy versus breast-conserving therapy in the treatment of stage I and II carcinoma in the breast: a randomized trial at the National Cancer Institute. J Clin Onc 1992; 10: 976–83., , , , , , et al.
- 11Age as a prognostic factor in breast cancer. Cancer 1985; 56: 898–902., , , , , , et al.
- 12Age as a prognostic factor in breast cancer. Cancer 1986; 57: 2217–21.,
- 13Survival and age at diagnosis of breast cancer in a population-based cancer registry. Br J Cancer 1991; 27: 981–4., , , , , , et al.
- 14Management and survival of female breast cancer: result of a national survey by the American College of Surgeons. Cancer 1980; 45: 2917–24., , , , , , et al.
- 15Risk factors and 10-year breast cancer survival in northern Alberta. Breast Cancer Res Treat 1989; 13: 143–51., , , , , , et al.
- 16Cancer patient survival: Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program, 1973–79. J Natl Cancer Inst 1983; 70: 693–707., ,
- 17Age as prognostic factor in premenopausal breast carcinoma. Lancet 1993; 341: 1039–43., , , , , , et al.
- 18Breast cancer in premenopausal women: is young age at diagnosis an independent prognostic factor? [abstract] Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1992; 24 (Suppl 1): 222., , , , , , et al.
- 19Why are local recurrences after breast-conserving therapy more frequent in younger patients? J Clin Onc 1990; 8: 591–8., , , , , , et al.
- 20Prognostic factors of breast recurrence in the conservative management of early breast cancer: a 25-year follow-up. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1989; 17: 719–25., , , , , , et al.
- 21Relationship patient age to pathologic features of the tumor and the risk of local recurrence for patients with stage I/II breast cancer treated with conservative surgery and radiation therapy [abstract]. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1992; 24: (Suppl 1): 221., , , , , , et al.
- 22The effect of young age on tumor recurrence in the treated breast after conservative surgery and radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1988; 14: 3–10., , , , , , et al.
- 23Age as a prognostic factor for patients treated with definitive irradiation for early stage breast cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1989; 16: 373–81., , ,
- 24Analysis of local-regional relapse in patients with early breast cancers treated by excision and radiotherapy: experience of the Institut Gusta ve-Roussy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1985; 11: 137–45., , , , , , et al.
- 25Impact of young age on local recurrence risk in patient with early breast cancer who have undergone QU.A.RT. Presented at the annual San Antonio Breast Conference; 1988 December; San Antonio, Texas., , , ,
- 26Risk factors for breast recurrence in premenopausal and postmenopausal patients with ductal cancers treated by conservation therapy. Cancer 1990; 65: 1867–78., , , , , , et al.
- 27Conservation treatment of early breast cancer: long term results and complications. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1987; 13: 29–34., , ,
- 28Prognostic implications of age in breast cancer patients treated with tumorectomy and irradiation or with mastectomy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1988; 14: 659–63., , ,
- 29Factors influencing local recurrence after excision and radiotherapy for primary breast cancer. Br J Surg 1989; 76: 890–4., , , , , , et al.
- 30Breast conservation: long-term Australian data. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1992; 24: 253–60., , , , , , et al.
- 31Prognostic factors for local recurrence in the conservatively treated breast cancer patient: a cautious interpretation of the data. J Clin Oncol 1991; 9: 997–1003., , , ,
- 32Factors influencing the risk of local recurrence in the breast. Eur J Cancer 1992; 28: 660–6.
- 33Infiltrating breast carcinoma in patients age 30 years and younger: long term outcome for life, relapse, and second primary tumors. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1992; 23: 969–75., , , ,
- 34Early Breast Cancer Trialists' Collaborative Group. Systemic treatment of early breast cancer by hormonal cytotoxic, or immune therapy. Lancet 1992; 339: 1–15, 71–85.
- 35Treatment of breast cancer among elderly women with segmental mastectomy or segmental mastectomy plus post-operative radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1988; 15: 263–70., , , , , , et al.
- 36Radiotherapy after breast-preserving surgery in women with localized cancer of the breast. N Eng J Med 1993; 328: 1587–91., , , , , , et al.
- 37Comparison of mastectomy with tamoxifen for treating elderly patient with operable breast cancer [abstract]. BMJ 1988; 297: 20–7., , , ,
- 38Treatment of breast cancer in elderly women: retrospective analysis of 111 wide lumpectomies performed in a day hospital regimen between 1982 and 1988. Tumori 1992; 78: 111–4., , , , , , et al.