Presented at the National Conference on Breast Cancer, Boston, Massachusetts, August 26–28, 1993.
Breast cancer during pregnancy†
Article first published online: 11 NOV 2009
Copyright © 1994 American Cancer Society
Supplement: An Interdisciplinary International Journal of the American Cancer Society
Volume 74, Issue Supplement S1, pages 518–527, January 1994
How to Cite
Petrek, J. A. (1994), Breast cancer during pregnancy. Cancer, 74: 518–527. doi: 10.1002/cncr.2820741341
- Issue published online: 11 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 11 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 JAN 1994
- 1First births to older mothers 1970–1986. Am J Public Health 1989; 79: 1675–84.
- 2Gestational carcinoma of the female breast. Curr Probl Cancer 1983; 7: 1–58., , , , ,
- 3Two-stage model for carcinogenesis: epidemiology of breast cancer in females. J Natl Cancer Inst 1980; 65: 559–69., ,
- 4Mastectomy in the primary management of invasive mammary carcinoma. In: HardyJD, GurdFN, JordanGL, LongmireWP, editors. Advances in surgery, vol. 6. Chicago: Year Book Medical Publishers, 1972: 1–101.
- 5Carcinoma of the breast and pregnancy. Ann Surg 1954; 139: 9–18.
- 6Cancer of the breast in pregnancy. N C Med J 1966; 27: 514–20., ,
- 7Mammary cancers and pregnancy. Br Med J 1979; 1: 1124–7.
- 8Cancer and pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1961; 81: 718–28.,
- 9A report of 549 cases of breast cancer in women 35 years of age or younger. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1958; 107: 271–83.,
- 10Carcinoma of the breast in women 35 years of age or younger. Ann Surg 1969; 196: 839–43, ,
- 11Breast cancer and pregnancy: a review. J R Soc Med 1993; 86: 162–6.,
- 12Mammography. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1977.,
- 13Pregnancy and breast cancer. South Med J 1983; 76: 1008–90.,
- 14Fine-needle aspiration cytology of breast masses in pregnant and lactating women. Diagn Cytopathol 1989; 5: 255–60., ,
- 15Pregnancy and breast cancer. Obstet Gynecol 1977; 50: 244–51.
- 16Treatment of breast tumors associated with pregnancy and lactation. Ann Surg 1962; 155: 940–7., , ,
- 17Infarction of breast fibroadenomas during pregnancy. JAMA 1975; 231: 963–4.,
- 18Localized breast infarcts associated with pregnancy. Arch Pathol 1974; 97: 159–61.,
- 19Spontaneous breast infarction associated with pregnancy presenting as a palpable mass. J Surg Oncol 1986; 32: 174–8., ,
- 20Mammary carcinoma and pregnancy. Major Prob Clin Surg 1967; 5: 170–8.
- 21Carcinoma of the breast in the pregnant and the nursing patient. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1955; 69: 1277–86.
- 22Prognosis of pregnancy-associated breast cancer. Cancer 1991; 67: 869–72., ,
- 23Inflammatory mammary cancer during pregnancy and lactation. Obstet Gynecol 1968; 32: 373–5., ,
- 24Prognosis of breast cancer for pregnant and nursing women. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 1946; 25 (Suppl 4): 1–23.
- 25Carcinoma of the breast in pregnancy. In: HaagensenCD, editor. Diseases of the breast, 2nd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1971.
- 26The effects of childbearing on carcinoma of the breast. Med J Aust 1970; 57: 1252–6., , ,
- 27Carcinoma of the breast associated with pregnancy and lactation. Am Surg 1973; 39: 101–4., ,
- 28Diagnosis of breast masses in pregnant and lactating women by aspiration cytology. Obstet Gynecol 1985; 66: 76–8.,
- 29Effects of radiation on the developing embryo. In: HallEJ, editor. Radiobiology for the radiologist. New York: Harper and Row, 1973: 231–9.
- 30Small head size after atomic radiation. Teratology 1976; 14: 355–7.,
- 31Cancer in pregnancy. Curr Probl Cancer 1983; 8: 1–50.,
- 32International Commission on Radiological Protection and International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements. Exposure of man to ionizing radiation arising from medical procedures. Phys Med Biol 1957; 2: 107–51.
- 33The effects of ionizing radiation, microwaves, and ultrasound on the developing embryo: clinical interpretations and applications of the data. Curr Probl Pediatr 1984; 14: 61–87.
- 34Radiation risks in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 1982; 60: 237–42.,
- 35Bone scanning in pregnant patients with breast carcinoma. Clin Nucl Med 1987; 12: 519–24., , , ,
- 36Efficacy of bone and liver scanning in malignant disease: facts and options. In: Nuclear medicine annual. New York: Raven Press, 1982.
- 37Magnetic resonance imaging in prenatal diagnosis. Clin Obstet Gynecol 1988; 31: 353–89.,
- 38National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements. Report 39: Basic Radiation Protection Criteria. Washington, DC: NCRP Productions, 1971.
- 39Radiotherapy during pregnancy for clinical Stages IA–IIA Hodgkin's disease. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1992; 23: 407–12., , , , , , et al.
- 40Radiotherapy after breast-preserving surgery in women with localized cancer of the breast. N Engl J Med 1993; 328: 1587–91., , , , , , et al.
- 41Long-term follow-up of children exposed in utero to antineoplastic agents. Semin Oncol 1989; 16: 437–44.
- 42Methotrexate-induced congenital malformations. Med J Aust 1971; 2: 1076–7.,
- 43Leukemia in pregnancy. Clin Obstet Gynecol 1974; 17: 185–95.
- 44Leukemia and lymphoma complicating pregnancy. Clin Obstet Gynecol 1979; 22: 859–70.
- 45Treatment of acute leukemia during pregnancy: presentation of nine cases. Cancer Treat Rep 1980; 64: 679–83., , , , ,
- 46Successful pregnancy in acute promyelocytic leukemia. Cancer 1982; 49: 152–3., , , ,
- 47Successful pregnancy during chemotherapy for acute promyelocytic leukemia. N Engl J Med 1982; 306: 939.,
- 48Pregnancy following combination chemotherapy for a mixed germ cell tumor of the ovary. Gynecol Oncol 1981; 12: 373–8.,
- 49Pregnancy following chemotherapy for an ovarian immature embryonal teratoma. Gynecol Oncol 1979; 8: 234–9., , ,
- 50Does doxorubicin cross the placenta? Lancet 1979; 2: 1382., , , , ,
- 51Azathioprene teratogenecity: review of the literature and case report. Obstet Gynecol 1981; 58: 247–50.,
- 52Consequences of radiotherapy and antineoplastic therapy for the fetus. J Reprod Med 1976; 17: 241–6.,
- 53Fetal and neonatal effects of cytotoxic agents. Obstet Gynecol 1981; 58: 41–7.
- 54Cytotoxic drugs in pregnancy. J Obstet Gynecol Br Emp 1968; 75: 307–12.
- 55Use of anticancer drugs during pregnancy. Clin Obstet Gynecol 1968; 11: 416–27.,
- 56Successful pregnancy following continuous treatment with combination chemotherapy before conception and throughout pregnancy. Cancer 1984; 54: 800–3.,
- 57Fetal outcome after in utero exposure to cancer chemotherapy. Arch Intern Med 1992; 152: 573–6., , , , ,
- 58Late cardiac effects of doxorubicin therapy for acute lymphoblastic leukemia in childhood. N Engl J Med 1991; 324: 808–15., , , , ,
- 59The use of echocardiography and holter monitoring in the assessment of anthracycline-treated patients. In: GreenDM, D'AngioGJ, editors. Cardiac toxicity after treatment for childhood cancer. New York: Wiley-Liss, 1993: 54–62.,
- 60Integration of conservative surgery, radiotherapy, and chemotherapy for the treatment of early-stage, node-positive breast cancer: sequencing, timing and outcome. J Clin Oncol 1991; 9: 1662–7., , , , , et al.
- 61Placental and fetal involvement by maternal malignancy: a report of rectal carcinoma and review of the literature. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1973; 116: 1023–34., ,
- 62Metastases of maternal cancer to the placenta and fetus. Cancer 1970; 25: 380–8.,
- 63Maternal malignancy metastatic to the products of conception: a review. Obstet Gynecol Sum 1989; 44: 535–40., , ,
- 64Non-trophoblastic tumors of the placenta. In: FoxH, editor. Pathology of the placenta. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1978: 357–60.
- 65Anesthesia for the pregnant patient undergoing non-obstetric surgery. Anesthesiol Clin North Am 1990; 8: 131–41.
- 66Anesthetic risks in the pregnant surgical patient. Anesthesiology 1979; 51: 439–51.,
- 67Faulty cell replication, abortion, congenital abnormalities. In: CottrellJE, editors. International anesthesiology clinics: occupational hazards to operating room and recovery room personnel, vol. 19. Boston: Little, Brown and Co., 1981: 82–3.
- 68Carcinoma of the breast: criteria of operability. Ann Surg 1943; 118: 859–70, 1032–51.,
- 69The treatment and results in cancer of the breast at the Presbyterian Hospital, New York. Am J Roentgenol 1949; 62: 328–34.
- 70Cancer of the breast. Surg Clin North Am 1953; 33: 313.
- 71The relation of carcinoma of the breast and pregnancy in 283 patients. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1962; 115: 65–71.,
- 72Breast cancer and pregnancy. Arch Surg 1985; 120: 1221–4.,
- 73Carcinoma of the breast associated with pregnancy. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1985; 160: 228–32., , ,
- 74Breast cancer and pregnancy: the ultimate challenge. Clin Oncol 1989; 1: 11–8.,
- 75Breast cancer and pregnancy. Breast 1980; 7: 17–21.,
- 76Tumors and tumor-like lesions of the breast in association with pregnancy. Arch Surg 1929; 18: 2079–98.,
- 77Carcinoma of the breast: results of surgical treatment when the carcinoma occurred in course of pregnancy or lactation and when pregnancy occurred subsequent to operation: 1910–1933. Ann Surg 1937; 106: 690–700.
- 78Cancer of the breast during pregnancy and lactation. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1962; 83: 607–11.
- 79The effect of pregnancy in breast cancer. In: ForrestAPM, KunklerPB, eds. Prognostic factors in breast cancer. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1968. 65–80.
- 80Carcinoma of breast in pregnancy and lactation. Am Surg 1963; 29: 509–14., ,
- 81Carcinoma of the breast during pregnancy. Clin Obstet Gynecol 1963; 6: 994–1001.
- 82Carcinoma of the breast and pregnancy. Can J Surg 1964; 7: 124–8., ,
- 83Breast cancer and pregnancy. Acta Unio Int Contra Cancrum 1964; 20: 1480.,
- 84Carcinoma of the breast: surgical management of patients with special conditions. Cancer 1971; 28: 1628–36.,
- 85Carcinoma of the breast in pregnancy and lactation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1978; 4: 693–8.,
- 86Breast cancer associated with pregnancy: clinicians' dilemma. BMJ 1977; 2: 1524–7.,
- 87Gestational breast cancer: a ten-year experience. South Med J 1988; 81: 1509–11.
- 88Breast cancer associated with pregnancy: clinicians' dilemma. Br Med J 1977; 2: 1524–7.,
- 89Survival of breast cancer patients diagnosed during pregnancy or lactation. Br J Cancer 1988; 58: 382–4., , ,
- 90Data on breast cancer in pregnancy. In: IsaacsJH, editor. Textbook of breast disease. St. Louis: Mosby-Year Book, 1992: 319–29., , , ,
- 91Regulation of estrogen receptor messenger ribonucleic acid and protein levels in human breast cancer cell lines by sex steroid hormones, their antagonists, and growth factors. Mol Endocrinol 1989; 3: 295–304., ,
- 92Existence of receptors bound to endogenous estradiol in breast cancers in premenopausal and postmenopausal women. Steroids 1976; 27: 99–110.,
- 93Evidence that estrogen-receptor-negative progesterone-receptor-positive breast and ovarian carcinoma contain estrogen receptor. Cancer 1981; 48: 1215–20.,