We are grateful to Dr. Ching-Hon Pui of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee, for his advice.
Severe infections in children with acute leukemia undergoing intensive chemotherapy can successfully be prevented by ciprofloxacin, voriconazole, or micafungin prophylaxis
Article first published online: 10 JAN 2014
© 2013 American Cancer Society
Volume 120, Issue 8, pages 1255–1262, 15 April 2014
How to Cite
Yeh, T.-C., Liu, H.-C., Hou, J.-Y., Chen, K.-H., Huang, T.-H., Chang, C.-Y. and Liang, D.-C. (2014), Severe infections in children with acute leukemia undergoing intensive chemotherapy can successfully be prevented by ciprofloxacin, voriconazole, or micafungin prophylaxis. Cancer, 120: 1255–1262. doi: 10.1002/cncr.28524
For patients with childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) and acute myeloid leukemia (AML) who are receiving intensive chemotherapy, prophylaxis with antibiotic and antifungal agents can significantly reduce the rate of life-threatening infections in patients with ALL who are undergoing induction chemotherapy, bloodstream infections in patients with AML who are being treated with high-dose chemotherapy, and invasive fungal infections in patients with AML who are receiving modest-dose chemotherapy. Prophylaxis regimens also have been found to reduce the number of episodes of febrile neutropenia, the length of stay in the intensive care unit for patients with ALL, mortality caused by severe infections in patients with AML, and cost.
- Issue published online: 8 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 10 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 31 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 31 AUG 2013
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!
Patients and/or caregivers may access this content for use in relation to their own personal healthcare or that of a family member only. Terms and conditions will apply.