Other members of the Mucositis Guidelines Leadership Group of the Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer and International Society of Oral Oncology (MASCC/ISOO) are: Noor Al-Dasooqi, PhD; Michael Brennan, DDS, MHS; Rachel Gibson, PhD; Janet Fulton, PhD, RN; Ian Hewson, BDS; Siri B. Jensen, DDS, PhD; Richard Logan, BDS, MDS, PhD; Kerstin E.O. Öhrn, PhD, RDH; Triantafyllia Sarri, DDS, MSc; Deborah Saunders, DDS; Inger von Bültzingslöwen, DDS, PhD; and Noam Yarom, DMD.
MASCC/ISOO clinical practice guidelines for the management of mucositis secondary to cancer therapy
Version of Record online: 25 FEB 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Cancer published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of American Cancer Society.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Volume 120, Issue 10, pages 1453–1461, 15 May 2014
How to Cite
Lalla, R. V., Bowen, J., Barasch, A., Elting, L., Epstein, J., Keefe, D. M., McGuire, D. B., Migliorati, C., Nicolatou-Galitis, O., Peterson, D. E., Raber-Durlacher, J. E., Sonis, S. T., Elad, S. and The Mucositis Guidelines Leadership Group of the Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer and International Society of Oral Oncology (MASCC/ISOO). (2014), MASCC/ISOO clinical practice guidelines for the management of mucositis secondary to cancer therapy. Cancer, 120: 1453–1461. doi: 10.1002/cncr.28592
Other contributors to the guidelines update included Justin Allemano, Abdul Rahman Al-Azri, Heliton Spindola Antunes, Anura Ariyawardana, Emma Bateman, Nicole Blijlevens, Christine B. Boers-Doets, Paolo Bossi, Carlton G. Brown, Yu-Chia Chang, Karis K. Cheng, Catherine Cooksley, Elvira P. Correa, Kristopher Dennis, Mario Di Palma, Scott Drucker, June Eilers, Carmen Escalante, Cherry L. Estilo, Hele Everaus, Margot Fijlstra, Monica Fliedner, Annette Freidank, Erich Gerber, Faith Gibson, Jesùs Garcia Gomez, Josiah Halm, Guido Hita, Ronald D. Hutchins, Brian Hodgson, Allan Hovan, Virginia Jarvis, Emily E. King, Vassilios E. Kouloulias, Marie C. Latortue, Judith Lees, Nilza Nelly Fontana Lopes, Charles Loprinzi, Marisol Michelet, Takehiko Mori, Raj G. Nair, Pasquale Niscola, Loree K. Oberle-Edwards, Anthony Osaguona, Pratibha Parelkar, Jumin Park, Ira Parker, Bo G. Pettersson, Carin Potting, Nikhil G. Rao, Dorothea Riesenbeck, Tanya Rouleau, Mark M. Schubert, Sol Silverman Jr, Yoshihiko Soga, Fred K.L. Spijkervet, Monique Stokman, Andrea M. Stringer, Wim J.E. Tissing, Walter J.F.M. van der Velden, Marianne D. van de Wetering, Madhuri Vithala, Dianna S. Weikel, Roger Yazbeck, Eric Yeoh, and Yehuda Zadik.
Disclaimer: The Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer and International Society of Oral Oncology (MASCC/ISOO) Mucositis Guidelines are developed to facilitate the evidence-based management of mucositis. However, clinicians should also use their own judgment in making treatment decisions for individual patients. The guideline authors and the MASCC/ISOO do not guarantee or take responsibility for clinical outcomes in individual patients.
These guidelines refer to the use of the listed agents for the specific indication listed (ie, the prevention or treatment of mucositis or related symptoms). These guidelines do not apply to the use of the listed agents for other indications. For example, although it is suggested that chlorhexidine mouthwash not be used to prevent oral mucositis in patients receiving head and neck radiation therapy, clinicians may choose to use this agent for other indications in this or other populations.
- Issue online: 6 MAY 2014
- Version of Record online: 25 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 21 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 12 SEP 2013
- 4Patterns of mucositis and pain in patients receiving preparative chemotherapy and bone marrow transplantation. Oncol Nurs Forum. 1993;20:1493-1502., , , , , .
- 13Mucositis Study Section of the Multinational Association for Supportive Care in Cancer;International Society for Oral Oncology. Clinical practice guidelines for the prevention and treatment of cancer therapy-induced oral and gastrointestinal mucositis. Cancer. 2004;100(suppl 9):2026-2046., , , et al;
- 14Mucositis Study Section of the Multinational Association for Supportive Care in Cancer;International Society for Oral Oncology. Perspectives on cancer therapy-induced mucosal injury: pathogenesis, measurement, epidemiology, and consequences for patients. Cancer. 2004;100(suppl 9):1995-2025., , , et al;
- 17NCCN Task Force Report. Prevention and management of mucositis in cancer care. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2008;6(suppl 1):S1-S21; quiz S22–S24., , , et al.
- 19Mucositis Study Group of the Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer/International Society of Oral Oncology. Development of the MASCC/ISOO Clinical Practice Guidelines for Mucositis: considerations underlying the process. Support Care Cancer. 2013;21:309-312., , , ;
- 21ASCO clinical practice guidelines: process, progress, pitfalls, and prospects. Class Pap Curr Comments. 2000;4:881-886., , , et al.
- 34A phase III randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial to determine the efficacy of low level laser therapy for the prevention of oral mucositis in patients undergoing hematopoietic cell transplantation. Support Care Cancer. 2007;15:1145-1154., , , et al.
- 37Discrepancy of the effects of zinc supplementation on the prevention of radiotherapy-induced mucositis between patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma and those with oral cancers: subgroup analysis of a double-blind, randomized study. Nutr Cancer. 2010;62:682-691., , , .
- 38Interaction between antioxidant vitamin supplementation and cigarette smoking during radiation therapy in relation to long-term effects on recurrence and mortality: a randomized trial among head and neck cancer patients. Int J Cancer. 2008;122:1679-1683., , , et al.