Loss of paid employment after a diagnosis of breast cancer is common, often undesired, not restricted to the treatment period, and potentially related to the type of treatment administered. These findings should be considered when patients decide whether to receive adjuvant chemotherapy, particularly when the expected benefit is low.
Impact of adjuvant chemotherapy on long-term employment of survivors of early-stage breast cancer
Article first published online: 28 APR 2014
© 2014 American Cancer Society
Volume 120, Issue 12, pages 1854–1862, 15 June 2014
How to Cite
Jagsi, R., Hawley, S. T., Abrahamse, P., Li, Y., Janz, N. K., Griggs, J. J., Bradley, C., Graff, J. J., Hamilton, A. and Katz, S. J. (2014), Impact of adjuvant chemotherapy on long-term employment of survivors of early-stage breast cancer. Cancer, 120: 1854–1862. doi: 10.1002/cncr.28607
Presented in preliminary form as an oral presentation at the 2011 American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting; June 3-7, 2011; Chicago, IL.
- Issue published online: 3 JUN 2014
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 11 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 19 SEP 2013
- 2National Research Council. From Cancer Patient to Cancer Survivor: Lost in Transition. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2005.
- 12Surviving breast cancer: a problematic work re-entry. Cancer Pract. 1994;2:135–140..
- 13Return-to-work experiences of people with cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum. 1993;20:905–911..
- 23Rapid case ascertainment. In: Hutchinson CL, Menk HR, Burch M, Gottschalk R, eds. Cancer Registry Management Principles and Practice. 2nd ed. Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co; 1997:117–120., , , , .
- 25Mail and Internet Surveys: The Tailored Design Method. 2nd ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons; 2007..
- 27Survey Methodology. 2nd ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons; 2013., , , , , .
- 28Multiple Imputation for Nonresponse in Surveys. New York: John Wiley & Sons; 1987..
- 30Logistic Regression Using SAS: Theory and Application. 2nd ed. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc; 2012..
- 40Breast Cancer Intergroup of North America. Prognostic and predictive value of the 21-gene recurrence score assay in postmenopausal women with node-positive, oestrogen-receptor-positive breast cancer on chemotherapy: a retrospective analysis of a randomised trial. Lancet Oncol. 2010;11:55–65., , , et al;
- 41SWOG. SWOG RxPONDER Trial (S1007): Patient Information. www.swog.org/Visitors/S1007/patients.asp. Accessed October 26, 2012.