Recommendations for the implementation of distress screening programs in cancer centers: Report from the American Psychosocial Oncology Society (APOS), Association of Oncology Social Work (AOSW), and Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) joint task force
Version of Record online: 2 MAY 2014
© 2014 American Cancer Society
Volume 120, Issue 19, pages 2946–2954, October 1, 2014
How to Cite
Pirl, W. F., Fann, J. R., Greer, J. A., Braun, I., Deshields, T., Fulcher, C., Harvey, E., Holland, J., Kennedy, V., Lazenby, M., Wagner, L., Underhill, M., Walker, D. K., Zabora, J., Zebrack, B. and Bardwell, W. A. (2014), Recommendations for the implementation of distress screening programs in cancer centers: Report from the American Psychosocial Oncology Society (APOS), Association of Oncology Social Work (AOSW), and Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) joint task force. Cancer, 120: 2946–2954. doi: 10.1002/cncr.28750
- Issue online: 19 SEP 2014
- Version of Record online: 2 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Received: 10 FEB 2014
- 1American College of Surgeons Committee on Cancer. Cancer Program Standards 2012 Version 1.1: Ensuring Patient-Centered Care. Chicago, IL: American College of Surgeons; 2012.
- 2National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN). NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Distress Management. Version 3.2013. Fort Washington, PA: National Comprehensive Cancer Network; 2013. Available at: https://www.nccn.org/. Accessed December 17, 2013.
- 14Association of screening for psychosocial distress in patients with newly diagnosed stage IV NSCLC and survival [abstract]. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30(15S). Abstract 9030., , , , , .
- 19A comparison of a vote count and a meta-analysis review of intervention research with adult cancer patients. Res Soc Work Pract. 2000;10:139-158., , .
- 23Adler NE, Page A, eds; Institute of Medicine Committee on Psychosocial Services to Cancer Patients/Families in a Community Setting. Cancer Care for the Whole Patient. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2008.
- 24American Society of Clinical Oncology. QOPI: The Quality Oncology Practice Initiative. Available at: http://qopi.asco.org/. Accessed December 17, 2013.
- 36Use of tablet personal computers for sensitive patient-reported information. J Support Oncol. 2009;7:91-97., , , et al.
- 43A review and recommendations for optimal outcome measures of anxiety, depression and general distress in studies evaluating psychosocial interventions for English-speaking adults with heterogeneous cancer diagnoses. Support Care Cancer. 2010;18:1241-1262., , , et al.
- 46Sensitivity and specificity of the Distress Thermometer and a 2-item depression screen (Patient Health Questionnaire-2) with a “help” question for psychological distress and psychiatric morbidity in patients with advanced cancer. Psychooncology. 2012;21:1275-1284., , , .
- 49A User's Guide to the General Health Questionnaire (GHQ). Windsor, United Kingdom: NFER-Nelson; 1988..
- 60A Resource Guide for Implementing the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) 2007 Patient Safety Goals on Suicide. Wellesley Hills, MA: American Hospital Association; 2007: Available at: http://www.aha.org/content/00-10/JCAHOSafetyGoals2007.pdf. Accessed December 17, 2013..