We dedicate this article in memory of our admired and beloved colleague, Dr. Elizabeth C. Clipp, who participated in grant preparation. We wish to acknowledge the contributions of David Farrell, MPH, and Jetze Beers and the staff of People Designs, Inc who helped to craft the DAMES intervention materials, as well as Stephanie Martch, MS, RD, Katherine Bispeck, Teresa Baker, Justin Levens, Greg McElveen, and Valeda Stull, who helped with this project; all were compensated for their work. We thank Nike for donating shoe chips. We also are grateful to our study participants and the following oncology care providers: Drs. Victoria Afshani, Frederick Ames, Rafat Ansari, Banu Arun, Gildy Babiera, Matthew Ballo, Robert Bast Jr, Isabelle Bedrosian, Eric Bernicker, Therese Bevers, Kimberly Blackwell, Samuel Blackwell, Elizabeth Bloom, Daniel Booser, Abenaa Brewster, Thomas Buchholz, Aman Budzar, Joan Bull, Elquis Castillo, David Chang, Jenny Chang, Stephen Chui, Elise Cook, Joyce Copeland, Dennis Costa, Massimo Cristofanelli, Cesar De Las Casas, Chameth DeSilva, Carmelita Escalante, Francisco Esteva, Barry Feig, Stanley Filip, Moshe Frenkl, Jennifer Garst, Gregory Georgiade, Sharon Giordano, John Gockerman, Ana Gonzalez-Angulo, Marjorie Green, Karin Hahn, Hafez Halawani, Carolyn Hendricks, Frankie Holmes, Kelly Hunt, Rosario Hwang, Nuhad Ibrahim, Ellen Jones, Henry Kuerer, Irfan Lalani, Sabina Lee, George Leight, Jennifer Litton, Anthony Lucci, Alice Luknic, Gary Lyman, Ellen Manzullo, P. Kelly Marcom, Lawrence Marks, Funda Meric, Joseph Moore, Phuong Morrow, Stacy Molder, James Murray, Ho Myong, Diane Novy, Julia Oh, James Oleson, John Olson, Vivek Padha, Jeffrey Peppercorn, George Perkins, Leonard Prosnitz, Robert Prosnitz, Scott Pruitt, Lajos Pusztai, Maria Ramirez, Gregory Reece, Cynthia Reese-Osborne, Geoffrey Robb, Merrick Ross, Vernice Royal, Joel Salzman, Pamela Schlembach, Victoria Seewaldt, Pearl Seo, Heather Shaw, Sonja Singletary, Lawrence Solin, Eric Strom, Robert Sweeten, Welela Tereffe, Richard Theriault, Eva Thomas, Vincente Valero, Marieberta Vidal, Khanh Vu, Ronald Walters, Lawrence Wu, Lee Wilke, Wendy Woodward, Tse-Kuan Yu, and Michael Zenn.
Daughters and Mothers Against Breast Cancer (DAMES): Main outcomes of a randomized controlled trial of weight loss in overweight mothers with breast cancer and their overweight daughters
Version of Record online: 7 MAY 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Cancer published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of American Cancer Society.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Volume 120, Issue 16, pages 2522–2534, August 15, 2014
How to Cite
Demark-Wahnefried, W., Jones, L. W., Snyder, D. C., Sloane, R. J., Kimmick, G. G., Hughes, D. C., Badr, H. J., Miller, P. E., Burke, L. E. and Lipkus, I. M. (2014), Daughters and Mothers Against Breast Cancer (DAMES): Main outcomes of a randomized controlled trial of weight loss in overweight mothers with breast cancer and their overweight daughters. Cancer, 120: 2522–2534. doi: 10.1002/cncr.28761
- Issue online: 5 AUG 2014
- Version of Record online: 7 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 APR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 10 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Received: 25 NOV 2013
- 4National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship. canceradvocacy.org/. Accessed October 3, 2013.
- 18Lohman T, Martorell R, Roche A. Anthropometric Standardization Manual. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics;1988.
- 20American Heart Association Exercise, Cardiac Rehabilitation; Prevention Committee of the Council on Clinical Cardiology; Council on Epidemiology and Prevention; Council on Peripheral Vascular Disease; Interdisciplinary Council on Quality of Care and Outcomes Research. Clinician's Guide to cardiopulmonary exercise testing in adults: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2010;122:191-225., , , et al;
- 24Social Foundations of Thought and Action: A Social Cognitive Theory. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall; 1986..
- 272006 Nutrition, Physical Activity and Cancer Survivorship Advisory Committee; American Cancer Society. Nutrition and physical activity during and after cancer treatment: an American Cancer Society guide for informed choices. CA Cancer J Clin. 2006;56:323-353., , , et al;
- 28United States Department of Agriculture Center For Nutrition Policy and Promotion. US Dietary Guidelines, 2010. cnpp.usda.gov/dietaryguidelines.htm. Accessed October 3, 2013.
- 31An Atlas of Interpersonal Situations. New York: Cambridge University Press; 2003., , , , , .
- 33Cohen J. Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates;1988.
- 38Families, health, and behavior. Family Systems Health. 1999;20:7-46., , .
- 44Of Human Bonding: Parent-Child Relationships Across the Lifecourse. New York: Aldine; 1990., .