We thank Dr. Loraine Marrett and Diane Nishri (Population Studies and Surveillance, Cancer Care Ontario) for methodological assistance and Alethea Kewayosh and Usman Aslam (Aboriginal Cancer Control Unit, Cancer Care Ontario) for aid with protocol review and knowledge translation.
Inferior survival among Aboriginal children with cancer in Ontario
Article first published online: 13 MAY 2014
© 2014 American Cancer Society
Volume 120, Issue 17, pages 2751–2759, September 1, 2014
How to Cite
Marjerrison, S., Pole, J. D. and Sung, L. (2014), Inferior survival among Aboriginal children with cancer in Ontario. Cancer, 120: 2751–2759. doi: 10.1002/cncr.28762
- Issue published online: 20 AUG 2014
- Article first published online: 13 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 APR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 17 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 5 DEC 2013
- 1Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada. Terminology. Available at: http://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1100100014642/1100100014643. Accessed June 12, 2013.
- 2Bennett K, ed. Position Paper: Aboriginal Children and Youth in Canada: Canada Must Do Better. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Canadian Council of Provincial Child and Youth Advocates. 2010.
- 3Statistics Canada. Aboriginal Peoples Survey 2006. Ontario, Ottawa, Canada: Public Health Agency of Canada; 2006.
- 4Assembly of First Nations. First Nations Regional Longitudinal Health Survey (RHS) 2002/03 Results for Adults, Youth and Children Living in First Nations Communities. Ontario, Ottawa, Canada: Assembly of First Nations/First Nations Information Governance Committee; 2007.
- 9Indigenous Children's Health Report: Heath Assessment in Action. Toronto, Ontario, Canada: Keenan Research Centre in the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St. Michael's Hospital, Dalla Lana School of Public Health; 2009., .
- 12Native Nations Institute for Leadership Management and Policy; The Harvard Project on American Indian Economic Development (Malcolm Wiener Center for Social Policy). Indigenous Peoples, Poverty and Self-Determination in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United States. Joint Occasional Papers on Native Affairs No. 2006-02. Cambridge, MA: The Harvard Project on American Indian Economic Development; Tucson, AZ: The University of Arizona Native Nations Institute for Leadership, Management, and Policy; 2006.;
- 13United Nations. Department of Economic and Social Affairs. State of the World's Indigenous Peoples. New York: United Nations; 2009.
- 20Howlader N, Noone AM, Krapcho M, et al. eds. Figure 29.2. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2010 Based on the November 2012 SEER data submission, posted to the SEER web site, April 2013.Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2013. Available at: http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2010/. Accessed June 7, 2013.
- 26An investigation of cancer incidence in a First Nations community in Alberta, Canada, 1995-2006. Chronic Dis Can. 2010;30:135-140., , , et al.
- 27First Nations Cancer Research and Surveillance Priorities for Canada. Workshop Report; September 23-24, 2003. Ottawa, Ontario: Cancer Care Ontario; 2004., , .
- 29Centers for Disease Control. An SAS Program for the CDC Growth Charts. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpao/growthcharts/resources/sas.htm. Accessed June 10, 2013.
- 33Cancer incidence and survival of Saskatchewan northerners and registered Indians, 1967-1986. Arctic Med Res. 1991;Suppl:447-451., , , , , .
- 39Mortality of Metis and registered Indian adults in Canada: an 11-year follow-up study. Health Rep. 2009;20:31-51., , , , .
- 40Cancer and Related Health Care Utilization in the Manitoba Metis Population. Winnipeg, Manitoba: Manitoba Metis Federation; 2011., , , et al.
- 41Statistics Canada. 2006 Profile of Aboriginal Children, Youth and Adults, 2011. Ontario, Ottawa, Canada: Public Health Agency of Canada; 2011.
- 42SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2000 2003. Available at: http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2000/. Accessed June 25, 2013., , , et al.
- 43Health inequities experienced by Aboriginal children with respiratory conditions and their parents. Can J Nurs Res. 2013;45:6-27., , , et al.