We are very grateful to Pam Marcus, PhD; Rachel Ballard-Barbash, MD, MPH; Ann Geiger, PhD; and Carrie Klabunde, PhD for their helpful reviews, generous time, and critical perspectives.
Breast cancer screening in an era of personalized regimens: A conceptual model and National Cancer Institute initiative for risk-based and preference-based approaches at a population level
Version of Record online: 15 MAY 2014
© 2014 American Cancer Society
Volume 120, Issue 19, pages 2955–2964, October 1, 2014
How to Cite
Onega, T., Beaber, E. F., Sprague, B. L., Barlow, W. E., Haas, J. S., Tosteson, A. N.A., D. Schnall, M., Armstrong, K., Schapira, M. M., Geller, B., Weaver, D. L. and Conant, E. F. (2014), Breast cancer screening in an era of personalized regimens: A conceptual model and National Cancer Institute initiative for risk-based and preference-based approaches at a population level. Cancer, 120: 2955–2964. doi: 10.1002/cncr.28771
- Issue online: 19 SEP 2014
- Version of Record online: 15 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 APR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 24 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 29 JAN 2014
- 1US Food and Drug Administration. Mammography Quality Standards Act and program national statistics. fda.gov/Radiation-Emitting Products/MammographyQualityStandards Act and Program/Facility Scorecard/ucm113858.htm. Accessed October 12, 2009.
- 2Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Breast cancer screening rates. cdc.gov/cancer/breast/statistics/screening.htm. Accessed December 10, 2013.
- 4Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Vital signs: breast cancer screening among women aged 50-74 years–United States, 2008. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010;59:813-816.
- 9American Cancer Society. American Cancer Society recommendations for early breast cancer detection in women without breast symptoms. cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/moreinformation/breastcancerearlydetection/breast-cancer-early-detection-acs-recs. Accessed December 10, 2013.
- 10National Cancer Institute. PROSPR Research Sites & Principal Investigators. appliedresearch.cancer.gov/networks/prospr/sites.html. Accessed April 28, 2014.
- 12Screening for breast cancer with mammography. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006;(4):CD001877., .
- 14American Cancer Society. Chronological history of ACS recommendations for the early detection of cancer in people without cancer symptoms. cancer.org/healthy/findcancerearly/cancerscreeningguidelines/chronological-history-of-acs-recommendations. Accessed December 10, 2013.
- 17Increases in ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) of the breast in relation to mammography: a dilemma. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr. 1997;(22):151-156., .
- 36Breast cancer screening with imaging: recommendations from the Society of Breast Imaging and the ACR on the use of mammography, breast MRI, breast ultrasound, and other technologies for the detection of clinically occult breast cancer. J Am Coll Radiol. 2010;7:18-27., , , et al.
- 42National Comprehensive Cancer Network. NCCN clinical practice guidelines in oncology: breast cancer. Version 2.2011. nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/PDF/breast.pdf. Accessed April 28, 2014.