We thank Dr. Steven Leadbetter for his advice on the statistical methods used in this analysis.
When performance management works: A study of the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program
Version of Record online: 5 AUG 2014
© 2014 American Cancer Society
Supplement: National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program: Two Decades of Service to Underserved Women
Volume 120, Issue S16, pages 2566–2574, August 15, 2014
How to Cite
DeGroff, A., Royalty, J. E., Howe, W., Buckman, D. W., Gardner, J., Poister, T. and Hayes, N. (2014), When performance management works: A study of the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program. Cancer, 120: 2566–2574. doi: 10.1002/cncr.28817
The findings and conclusions in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
This article has been contributed to by US Government employees and their work is in the public domain in the USA.
- Issue online: 5 AUG 2014
- Version of Record online: 5 AUG 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 18 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 30 JAN 2014
- 1The Dynamics of Performance Management: Constructing Information and Reform. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press..
- 2Managing complex systems: performance management in public health. Public Health Manag Pract. 2004;10:13-18., .
- 4Government Performance and Results Act of 1993. Public Law 103-162.
- 5U.S. Government Accountability Office. OMB's PART reviews increased agencies' attention to improving evidence of program results. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Accountability Office, GAO-06-67; 2005.
- 6Measuring Performance in Public and Nonprofit Organizations. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass; 2003..
- 7The role of horizontal and vertical approaches to performance measurement and improvement in the U.K. public sector. Public Perform Manag Rev. 2004;28:75-95., .
- 8Putting performance measurement in context. In: Ingraham PA, Lynn LE, eds. The Art of Governance: Analyzing Management and Administration. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press; 2004:173-194., .
- 9Measuring the Performance of the Hollow State. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press; 2006., .
- 10Evaluating Network Arrangements: Toward Revised Performance Measures. Leuven, Belgium; 2006., .
- 11Challenging the Performance Movement. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press; 2006..
- 12New public management and governance collide: federal-level performance measurement in networked public management environments. Dissertations Abstracts International (UMI No. 3376270); 2009..
- 13U.S. General Accounting Office. Results-Oriented Government: GPRA has Established a Solid Foundation for Achieving Greater Results. Washington, DC: U.S. General Accounting Office, GAO-04-38, 2004.
- 15Making results count in public and nonprofit organizations: balancing performance with other values. In: Newcomer K, Jennings ET, Broom C, Lomax A, eds. Meeting the Challenges of Performance Oriented Government. Washington, DC: American Society for Public Administration, Center for Accountability and Performance; 2002:13-36..
- 16The National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program: a comprehensive public health response to two major health issues for women. J Public Health Manag Pract. 1996:2:36-47., , .
- 18National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program. 2010. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/nbccedp. Accessed November 19, 2010.
- 20Foundations of Mixed Methods Research. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage; 2009., .
- 22Categorical Data Analysis. 2nd ed. New York: John Wiley & Sons; 2002..
- 23Analysis of Longitudinal Data, 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 2002., , , .
- 24Qualitative research and evaluation methods. Thousand Oaks: Sage, 2002..
- 25Constructing Grounded Theory: A Practical Guide Through Qualitative Analysis. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage; 2006..
- 27Performance Measurement: Getting Results. Washington, DC: Urban Institute Press; 1999..
- 28U.S. General Accounting Office. Managing for Results: Measuring Program Results That Are Under Limited Federal Control. Washington, DC: U.S. General Accounting Office, GAO/GGD-99-16; 1998.