We thank Maritza Arce-Larreta, APRN-BC, MSN, RN, from the Utah Cancer Control Program and Kristin Paul from the University of Louisville (Kentucky) for their contributions to this article.
Quality assurance through quality improvement and professional development in the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program
Article first published online: 5 AUG 2014
© 2014 American Cancer Society
Supplement: National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program: Two Decades of Service to Underserved Women
Volume 120, Issue S16, pages 2584–2590, August 15, 2014
How to Cite
Siegl, E. J., Miller, J. W., Khan, K. and Harris, S. E. (2014), Quality assurance through quality improvement and professional development in the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program. Cancer, 120: 2584–2590. doi: 10.1002/cncr.28822
The findings and conclusions in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
This article has been contributed to by US Government employees and their work is in the public domain in the USA.
- Issue published online: 5 AUG 2014
- Article first published online: 5 AUG 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 30 JAN 2014
- 1Division of Health Care Services, Institute of Medicine; Donaldson MS, ed. Measuring the Quality of Health Care: A Statement by the National Roundtable on Health Care Quality. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1999.
- 2Committee to Design a Strategy for Quality Review and Assurance in Medicare, Institute of Medicine; Lohr KN, ed. Medicare: A Strategy for Quality Assurance. Vol 1 and 2. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1990.
- 3Changing clinical practice by improving systems: the pursuit of clinical excellence through practice-based measurement for learning and improvement. Qual Manage Health Care. 2000;9:1-13..
- 4Explorations in Quality Assessment and Monitoring. 1. The Definition of Quality and Approaches to its Assessment. Ann Arbor, MI: Health Administration Press; 1980..
- 5Breast and Cervical Cancer Mortality Prevention Act of 1990, § Title 42, USC § 300k.
- 8Using data to effectively manage a national screening program. Cancer. 2014;120(16 Suppl.):2575-2583., , , , , .
- 10When performance management works: a study of the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program. Cancer. 2014;120(16 Suppl.):2566-2574., , , et al.
- 12Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Guide to Community Preventive Services. Cancer prevention and control: provider-oriented screening interventions. Last updated September 26, 2013. Available at: http://www.thecommunityguide.org/cancer/screening/provider-oriented/index.html. Accessed on October 17, 2013.
- 13Effectiveness of academic detailing on breast cancer screening among primary care physicians in an underserved community. J Am Board Fam Med. 2006;19:110-121., , , et al.