Fax: (312) 926-3127
The indeterminate thyroid fine-needle aspiration
Experience from an academic center using terminology similar to that proposed in the 2007 National Cancer Institute Thyroid Fine Needle Aspiration State of the Science Conference
Article first published online: 20 APR 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Cancer Society
Volume 117, Issue 3, pages 195–202, 25 June 2009
How to Cite
Nayar, R. and Ivanovic, M. (2009), The indeterminate thyroid fine-needle aspiration. Cancer Cytopathology, 117: 195–202. doi: 10.1002/cncy.20029
Fax: (312) 926-3127
- Issue published online: 11 JUN 2009
- Article first published online: 20 APR 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Received: 8 AUG 2008
- 2American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and Associazione Medici Endocrinologi medical guidelines for clinical practice for the diagnosis and management of thyroid nodules. Endocr Pract. 2006; 12: 63-102., , , et al.
- 3Diagnostic terminology and morphologic criteria for cytologic diagnosis of thyroid lesions: a synopsis of the National Cancer Institute Thyroid Fine-Needle Aspiration State of the Science Conference. Diagn Cytopathol. 2008; 36: 425-437., , , et al.
- 4Fine-needle aspiration of the thyroid: How can our reports be more meaningful to the clinicians? Mod Pathol. 2001; 14: 77., , , .
- 5The indeterminate category of reporting fine-needle aspiration biopsy: We can do better! Mod Pathol. 2001; 14: 63A., , .
- 6The indeterminate thyroid FNA: subclassification improves outcomes. Cancer. 2006; 108( suppl 5): 439., , , .
- 9Guides to Clinical Aspiration Biopsy: Thyroid. 2nd ed. New York: Igaku-Shoin; 1996: 521..
- 13The Papanicolaou Society of Cytopathology Task Force on Standards of Practice. Guidelines of the Papanicolaou Society of Cytopathology for the examination of fine-needle aspiration specimens from thyroid nodules. Diagn Cytopathol. 1996; 15: 84-89.
- 20SolomonD,NayarR, eds. The Bethesda System for Reporting Cervical Cytology: Definitions, Criteria, and Explanatory Notes. New York: Springer; 2004.
- 21Bethesda Web Atlas. Available at: www.cytopathology.org.