Cancer size, histotype, and cellular grade may limit the success of fine-needle aspiration cytology for screen-detected breast carcinoma
Version of Record online: 5 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Cancer Society
Volume 117, Issue 6, pages 491–499, 25 December 2009
How to Cite
Manfrin, E., Falsirollo, F., Remo, A., Reghellin, D., Mariotto, R., Dalfior, D., Piazzola, E. and Bonetti, F. (2009), Cancer size, histotype, and cellular grade may limit the success of fine-needle aspiration cytology for screen-detected breast carcinoma. Cancer Cytopathology, 117: 491–499. doi: 10.1002/cncy.20053
- Issue online: 11 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 5 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 8 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Received: 30 MAR 2009
- 3Rate of insufficient samples for fine-needle aspiration for nonpalpable breast lesions in a multicenter clinical trial: the Radiologic Diagnostic Oncology Group 5 Study. The RDOG5 investigators. Cancer. 1998; 82: 679-688., , , et al.
- 6The use of fine-needle aspiration cytology and core biopsy in the assessment of highly suspicious mammographic microcalcifications: analysis of outcome for 182 lesions detected in the setting of a population-based breast cancer screening program. Cancer. 2003; 99: 357-364., .
- 8Is there still a role for fine-needle aspiration cytology in breast cancer screening? Experience of the Verona Mammographic Breast Cancer Screening Program with real-time integrated radiopathologic activity (1999-2004). Cancer. 2008; 114: 74-82., , , et al.
- 18European Guidelines for Quality Assurance in Breast Cancer Screening and Diagnosis. 4th ed. Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities; 2006., , , , , .
- 19World Health Organization Classification of Tumors. Pathology and Genetics of Tumors of the Breast and Female Genital Organs. Lyon, France: IARC Press; 2003., .
- 20AJCC Cancer staging handbook. New York, NY: Springer-Verlag; 2002., , , et al.
- 21The cytopathology of ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast. A detailed analysis of fine needle aspiration cytology of 58 cases compared with 101 invasive ductal carcinomas. Cytopathology. 2001; 12: 107-119., , , et al.
- 25Aspiration cytology of tubular carcinoma. Diagnostic features with mammographic correlation. Am J Clin Pathol. 2006; 1001: 488-492., , .